How does Oxford view pass/fail grades?

Watch
Stick In The Mud
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Are there any Canadians or Americans here that have been successfully admitted into a graduate program at Oxford? I was wondering how graduate admissions at Oxford views pass/fail grades on transcripts. In Canada and America, we are usually allowed to use them on elective courses, i.e courses not related to what we will study in grad school.

Will I be fine as long as these pass/fail grades aren't related to the subject I am applying to grad school for?
Last edited by Stick In The Mud; 1 week ago
CJStevens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm not sure that will make much of a difference. Whilst, yes, it is likely that Oxford will view your "fails" with more leniency should they not be in relevant modules, but equally, Oxford wants the best of the best. By this, I'm suggesting that they perhaps won't care what subject is what, but rather will just expect the best mark you can get. That being said, Oxford contextualises date, meaning that they will compare your scores to other students in your school/ university to see how you ranked.
Stick In The Mud
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by CJStevens)
I'm not sure that will make much of a difference. Whilst, yes, it is likely that Oxford will view your "fails" with more leniency should they not be in relevant modules, but equally, Oxford wants the best of the best. By this, I'm suggesting that they perhaps won't care what subject is what, but rather will just expect the best mark you can get. That being said, Oxford contextualises date, meaning that they will compare your scores to other students in your school/ university to see how you ranked.
Many thanks for your reply. By not make much of a difference, do you mean this won't make or break your application?

I haven't failed anything for the record, but yeah, I suspect this form of assessment isn't common in UK universities.

With COVID too, many schools in North America, including Harvard, made this option available to students.
Last edited by Stick In The Mud; 6 days ago
CJStevens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Stick In The Mud)
Many thanks for your reply. By not make much of a difference, do you mean this won't make or break your application?

I haven't failed anything for the record, but yeah, I suspect this form of assessment isn't common in UK universities.

With COVID too, many schools in North America, including Harvard, made this option available to students.
Yes! In short, it is unlikely to have an adverse effect on the outcome of the application providing, as you said, the fails were in unrelated topics.

I hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.91%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (55)
13.19%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (158)
37.89%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (44)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (80)
19.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
5.28%

Watched Threads