Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi , I’m a current 6th year student who is hoping to study biochemistry at Strathclyde university . In my subjects last year I got A’s in Pe and Biology , and I got B’s in chemistry , maths and English . I’ve met the requirements so am currently working hard on a personal statement to get in , Ive still took AH Bio and Chen this year aswell as Higher modern to back it up

I was wondering ,if I’m successful, what am I to expect from Strathclyde uni? It seems like a very nice campus but I was wondering how nice is the accommodation , people and general life living there ? Any information or advice would be appreciated
Anonymous #1
Did I put this in the right thread???
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi , I’m a current 6th year student who is hoping to study biochemistry at Strathclyde university . In my subjects last year I got A’s in Pe and Biology , and I got B’s in chemistry , maths and English . I’ve met the requirements so am currently working hard on a personal statement to get in , Ive still took AH Bio and Chen this year aswell as Higher modern to back it up

I was wondering ,if I’m successful, what am I to expect from Strathclyde uni? It seems like a very nice campus but I was wondering how nice is the accommodation , people and general life living there ? Any information or advice would be appreciated
Hey there! You've definitely popped this in the right forum I'm sure if any of our current students see your post and would like to give their opinion then they will do Well done on your great exam results, you've set yourself up well!

Where would you be coming to join us from? Not sure how familiar you already are wit Glasgow... We're located right in the heart of the city centre, and as a campus university everything is in the one place (including your halls- means you can wake up at half 8 and still make your 9am lectures!!). We have a few different accommodation offers, in each you'll have your own room space and shared common spaces (living rooms, kitchens etc). There's 360 degree tours of them all in our Accommodation section on the website if you wanted to have a nosey. Overall - I'd say the vibe you'll get anywhere on campus from Strathclyde is a modern, down to earth and mega friendly one.

Glasgow has a great rep for being full of friendly, welcoming people. We're chatty and outgoing and will make you feel right at home if you're travelling from further out. Whatever your interests, Glasgow will have something for you! We're known for our music scene, shopping, restaurants/nightlife and connections to sport. We've got a great transport system connecting us to other places in Scotland as well as airports that can take you further afield if you wanted to travel during your uni experience too. Students have so much they can get stuck in to.

Admittedly... I may be biased but Glasgow is a fantastic place to live and study and I'm sure you'll absolutely love it Strathclyde is right in amongst it all and it's a great place to be.

Take care and let me know if you've any other questions!!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
brokestudent3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

My boyfriend currently goes there, just gone into his second year. I went to the open day and the staff are lovely (from attending the open day and from what I've heard from my boyfriend). I personally don't like the campus but Glasgow's just very dreary (yet I'm applying there myself for 2022 entry hopefully for biomed). The union has a pub quiz every monday which seems to be good fun. I will say, do not go to Birkbeck Court for accommodation. It feels like a mix of a jail and a hospital so if you're willing to spend a wee bit extra on accommodation I'd recommend doing that. Night life is pretty good, glasgow city centre is literally a wee 10-15 walk from campus at most so nights out are really easy for when clubs open back up. There's also a costa and two gregg's on Buchanan street but they always have long queues so it might just be worth bringing your own food for lunch yk? Hope this helps and good luck!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey there! You've definitely popped this in the right forum I'm sure if any of our current students see your post and would like to give their opinion then they will do Well done on your great exam results, you've set yourself up well!

Where would you be coming to join us from? Not sure how familiar you already are wit Glasgow... We're located right in the heart of the city centre, and as a campus university everything is in the one place (including your halls- means you can wake up at half 8 and still make your 9am lectures!!). We have a few different accommodation offers, in each you'll have your own room space and shared common spaces (living rooms, kitchens etc). There's 360 degree tours of them all in our Accommodation section on the website if you wanted to have a nosey. Overall - I'd say the vibe you'll get anywhere on campus from Strathclyde is a modern, down to earth and mega friendly one.

Glasgow has a great rep for being full of friendly, welcoming people. We're chatty and outgoing and will make you feel right at home if you're travelling from further out. Whatever your interests, Glasgow will have something for you! We're known for our music scene, shopping, restaurants/nightlife and connections to sport. We've got a great transport system connecting us to other places in Scotland as well as airports that can take you further afield if you wanted to travel during your uni experience too. Students have so much they can get stuck in to.

Admittedly... I may be biased but Glasgow is a fantastic place to live and study and I'm sure you'll absolutely love it Strathclyde is right in amongst it all and it's a great place to be.

Take care and let me know if you've any other questions!!

- Caitlin
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I’ve had a look at the campus and it looks very nice and one of the reasons I’m interested in going . I would be coming up from Aberdeen so I know glasgow fairly well since I’ve travelled up there a lot .

One thing I meant to ask was what sort of sports clubs are on offer ?? I love playing hockey but I’m not like insanely good at it , is there different level of teams or would there just be one team with amazing players
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I’ve had a look at the campus and it looks very nice and one of the reasons I’m interested in going . I would be coming up from Aberdeen so I know glasgow fairly well since I’ve travelled up there a lot .

One thing I meant to ask was what sort of sports clubs are on offer ?? I love playing hockey but I’m not like insanely good at it , is there different level of teams or would there just be one team with amazing players
We have a great campus, and it's changing all the time these days We're currently building our brand new learning and teaching hub which will be ready very soon... a fantastic new space for our union to live in and for students to use :^_^: If you already like the campus as it is I'm sure you'll like it even more by the time you come to join us!

We have sports clubs for just about any sport to be honest (ultimate frisbee being a personal favourite of mine). Yes, we have a hockey team and no, you don't have to be a pro to play! You'll be able to join 'taster' sessions of these during freshers week. There are differing levels that you can participate in, so if playing casually alongside your studies is what you're looking for then you'll have that option. Joining a club like that is a fab way to get to know people from across different subject areas, will help you settle in that little bit easier if you're moving from further afield.

Good luck with your application! Drop me a message if there's anything else you'd like to know

- Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.58%
I'm not sure (46)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.71%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (524)
48.65%

Watched Threads