SilveringBlue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I know this is going to sound ridiculous. But I want to do dentistry. But I have the worst grades and subjects ever. I've had a horrible past 2 years. But in my GCSE's I got 4/5s mostly 4s. I'm retaking year 12 and I'm doing Applied Science, Psychology and either Health and Social Care or Criminology. What are my chances of getting into dentistry? Obviously post grad.
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mesopotamian.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Difficult to say at this point but in all honesty, your chances aren't very high. What are your predicted grades?
If it's graduate entry you're thinking about, then a lot of dental schools require graduates to meet certain A Level requirements (and GCSEs too) - and usually those requirements include having biology and/or chemistry at A level which you don't have.
SilveringBlue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Difficult to say at this point but in all honesty, your chances aren't very high. What are your predicted grades?
If it's graduate entry you're thinking about, then a lot of dental schools require graduates to meet certain A Level requirements (and GCSEs too) - and usually those requirements include having biology and/or chemistry at A level which you don't have.
I don't have predicted grades yet but I know I can work hard and get As. I previously had so many bad things happen and my education was the last thing on my mind. However now things have settled down. I know I can work hard and get As. Would this still not help my situation out?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SilveringBlue)
I don't have predicted grades yet but I know I can work hard and get As. I previously had so many bad things happen and my education was the last thing on my mind. However now things have settled down. I know I can work hard and get As. Would this still not help my situation out?
I'm sorry to hear that, do you have proof of extenuating circumstances? If you do, consider emailing individual universities and asking them if they'd consider your situation.

Generally, graduates need a 2:1 in a degree - some universities need the degree to be in a biomedical/ health related course, whereas others will allow any degree (but this limits choices). Obviously because you're not at that level, I can't tell you for sure whether you'll be considered or not, but it's worth knowing this now so you can plan ahead. If you want to be safe, I'd recommend doing a healthcare- related degree or something like biomed

Most also require biology and chemistry at A level which you don't have - note that I'm saying "most" not all, because some have only specified the degree classification and nothing else so you could apply to these places.

Is the Health and Social care you're doing a triple award BTEC? If so, you could apply for the Bristol Gateway undergrad entry (but you need to check you eligibility which they have on their website) using that, as they only want 4s in English and maths at GCSE. Cardiff and Manchester do a foundation course for people with the wrong A level subjects, however, they requires a spread of 6-8s at GCSE. In terms of undergrad entry, the Bristol gateway is probably your only option because you have the wrong A Levels combination coupled with weak GCSEs so it puts you in a weaker situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (88)
21.62%
No (319)
78.38%

Watched Threads