R76 – Ministerial Report from the Prime Minister – Border at the English Channel

Watch
This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
R76 – Ministerial Report from the Prime Minister – Border at the English Channel

Ministerial Report: Her Majesty's Government
Secretary of State: The Rt. Hon. El Salvador MP

Securing our Maritime Border at the English Channel

Mr Speaker,

In the light of a recent increase in migrants travelling by boat illegally to our United Kingdom, Her Majesty's government is committed to securing our maritime border with collaboration from our ally, the French Republic.

Collaboration with the French Republic
Her Majesty's government believes the only practical way to handle this situation is through stopping the migrants at the French coast, and we must have collaboration from France in order to do that.

A team of negotiators has been established to discuss the matter with the office of the President of France, with negotiations commencing within 10 days.

The team is led by the Deputy Prime Minister, and consists of the Undersecretary of Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, the Undersecretary of International Development, as well as the Undersecretary of Defence.

We are prepared to offer funds, material resources, as well as a limited number of military personnel to minimise the number of migrant boats setting off for the English coast. Additionally, we are open to launching a migrant-sharing programme with not just the French Republic but the Republic of Ireland, to further discourage people from crossing the English Channel by providing them with a proper channel to potentially claim asylum in the UK.

I commend this report to the House.

Notes and references

Notes
Legally, we cannot simply send boats in our search and rescue zone back to France, and we have to honour our legal commitment to allow asylum-seeking (whether their application would be approved or not within 6 months) once the migrants are in UK's territorial waters. As a result, this is the most straightforward and practical way to deal with the situation.

References
1 https://theconversation.com/why-are-...op-them-144466

Oshmit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yea!
Tinders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm inclined to agree with this report pending the result of the IRL negotiation.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A sensible MR. Aye.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mr Speaker, i commend this report as per the will of the government.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Home Secretary cannot be bothered to do anything and the government's response is to do nothing whilst citing some spurious legal point.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm of course supportive of this. Negotiating with the French is the only way forward.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
I'm of course supportive of this. Negotiating with the French is the only way forward.
If the French demanded more access to British fishing waters going forward, is that a sacrifice you would make?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
If the French demanded more access to British fishing waters going forward, is that a sacrifice you would make?
I cannot imagine an offer that would be tempting enough for me to do that. But let's say if they finally recognize the Crown's abandoned claim as the monarch of France, becomes an overseas territory of the UK, then I think that may be a good enough offer.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I cannot imagine an offer that would be tempting enough for me to do that. But let's say if they finally recognize the Crown's abandoned claim as the monarch of France, becomes an overseas territory of the UK, then I think that may be a good enough offer.
:lol: perhaps we might be able to convince both royalists in France to support us in that case.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)
:lol: perhaps we might be able to convince both royalists in France to support us in that case.
At one point, there were some talks of France joining the Commonwealth. I'd welcome that but unfortunately that's not good enough for fishing access. It's time they restore the Crown to the throne of France!
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's time they restore the Crown to the throne of France!
For some reason I just got flashbacks to playing CK2 in the Iberian peninsula, or as I prefer to call it ”**** sake you are losing a holy war against Badajoz which would lead to the Pope deciding to crusade for Galicia instead of actually sensible crusade targets why are you declaring war on me”

The AI is a donut.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And this isn't coming from the Home Office, the department responsible, why?

It's also funny to see the government is back to publishing MRs that are essentially just statements of the status quo rather than propositions for change.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And this isn't coming from the Home Office, the department responsible, why?

It's also funny to see the government is back to publishing MRs that are essentially just statements of the status quo rather than propositions for change.
Negotiations are overseen by the Foreign Office even when the Home Office is involved.

In this case it can be assumed via the canon amendment that the negotiations here (which also include Ireland and offer money) are successful. By sticking to canon and not releasing it, we'd still be in negotiation limbo.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Negotiations are overseen by the Foreign Office even when the Home Office is involved.

In this case it can be assumed via the canon amendment that the negotiations here (which also include Ireland and offer money) are successful. By sticking to canon and not releasing it, we'd still be in negotiation limbo.
Does the canon amendment say that though? This is not a matter of TSR domestic vs RL EU/domestic law, that interpretation of the canon amendment leads to absurd situations where there is an easy way for you to deal with your £100bn deficit: enter into negotiations with China to pay £1tn per year reparations for being China, then you can boost spending massively and abolish all taxes.

Alas I don't think anybody would accept that as legitimate, therefore this is little more than yet another statement of the status quo.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does the canon amendment say that though? This is not a matter of TSR domestic vs RL EU/domestic law, that interpretation of the canon amendment leads to absurd situations where there is an easy way for you to deal with your £100bn deficit: enter into negotiations with China to pay £1tn per year reparations for being China, then you can boost spending massively and abolish all taxes.

Alas I don't think anybody would accept that as legitimate, therefore this is little more than yet another statement of the status quo.
Well i admit that it really just creates another grey area where you can argue that slightly different negotiations are only ongoing and we can argue that success can be assumed but that's still a victory vs canon. At any rate it's a political win (assuming passage).
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well i admit that it really just creates another grey area where you can argue that slightly different negotiations are only ongoing and we can argue that success can be assumed but that's still a victory vs canon. At any rate it's a political win (assuming passage).
If your measuring statements that declare the status quo as wins you should just quit now because your bar is so low.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know Andrew97 struggles with even the simple questions, or justifying his own actions, but perhaps he could answer the question.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In fact with your interpretation "Connor's" do nothing MR really did do nothing because you can't end negotiations that have concluded...

So which is it?
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It is possible for us to declare that the PRC has agreed to pay us £1 trillion or that we found a cure for covid under the Queen's sofa, but that would be against the spirit of the game.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
27.62%
Less motivated (76)
72.38%

Watched Threads