cute_pebble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi I've just started my bio A level course and was thinking of buying some revision guides. but idk if I should get the CGP one or the aqa approved one (by oxford). which one would you recommend?
AveragexStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I used the CGP books and I came out fine but the other one which your thinking about is way more detailed and may have more information. CGP books tend to be concise.
Either way make sure you understand the core concepts and memorise the key information then go on Physicsandmathstutor for exam practise and you should be set for the exams. I would say Exam technique > reviewing content.
cute_pebble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by AveragexStudent)
I used the CGP books and I came out fine but the other one which your thinking about is way more detailed and may have more information. CGP books tend to be concise.
Either way make sure you understand the core concepts and memorise the key information then go on Physicsandmathstutor for exam practise and you should be set for the exams. I would say Exam technique > reviewing content.
Thank you so much for your advice!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by cute_pebble)
Hi I've just started my bio A level course and was thinking of buying some revision guides. but idk if I should get the CGP one or the aqa approved one (by oxford). which one would you recommend?
without sounding boastful (impossible) i got almost 100% UMS in my Biology AQA A level (a few years ago now) and graduated with a degree in Biology.... i did it by treating the Oxford textbook as my bible - it was so thick that it scared off most people, or people thought the CGP guide would be enough.

CGP guides should be banned in the same way as we wouldn't tolerate people who claim that herbal remedies can ward off Coronavirus!
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am on OCR, which is very similar in content to AQA.

I have the revision guide and a Pearson textbook .

The revision guide gives you 85% of the info in a way that is easy to remember , and the revision guides are written by chief examiners. They are worded EXACTLY the same as the mark schemes. They do occasionally miss out a few details, but they explain the main points better than any other book I've read. Take the properties of water, if you look at the 9 marker on this, the CGP revision guide's explanations are word for word with the mark scheme. The OCR textbook on this, goodness struth, after half a page of waffle, they don't even give you what the mark schemes are after !

The way I recommend if you want to learn content is to :

1) Make notes on the CGP
2) Do practise questions and fill in any missed out details
3) Look in the textbook and see if any points are missed.

By the way, this website combines the revision guide and textbook so is good for notes.

http://astarbiology.com

Look on the spec too , sometimes the textbook will give you information that is explicitly stated on the spec as you not needing to know.
Humairazaman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by seals2001)
I am on OCR, which is very similar in content to AQA.

I have the revision guide and a Pearson textbook .

The revision guide gives you 85% of the info in a way that is easy to remember , and the revision guides are written by chief examiners. They are worded EXACTLY the same as the mark schemes. They do occasionally miss out a few details, but they explain the main points better than any other book I've read. Take the properties of water, if you look at the 9 marker on this, the CGP revision guide's explanations are word for word with the mark scheme. The OCR textbook on this, goodness struth, after half a page of waffle, they don't even give you what the mark schemes are after !

The way I recommend if you want to learn content is to :

1) Make notes on the CGP
2) Do practise questions and fill in any missed out details
3) Look in the textbook and see if any points are missed.

By the way, this website combines the revision guide and textbook so is good for notes.

http://astarbiology.com

Look on the spec too , sometimes the textbook will give you information that is explicitly stated on the spec as you not needing to know.
This is so true. I read my textbooks and then revision guide for physics and also looked at the spec before starting Year 12 and there was sooooo much waffle in the textbook. Whatever people say, CGP guides are the best to remember info but obviously you need to use so many other resources at Alevel including textbooks, videos, SENECA etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads