The Student Room Group

Struggling with A level Biology

Hi, I’ve just started my A level Biology course & I’m finding it very difficult. I’ve been learning about water & at the moment it feels like I’m learning chemistry. Should I swap it for another subject? bearing in mind that I already dropped maths for biology. I don’t know what to do.
Lol, sounds to me like you're at the start of your textbook so some of it will sound more like chem. The later chapters will be more bio-ish, once you get there just see how you like it before deciding whether or not to drop the subject:smile:

For A level bio, once you complete the syllabus just do past papers. There's no shortcuts, many times they tend to ask similar questions so basically you just need to remember some model answers and regurgitate it out when you see it. That will save lots of time during exams for you to move on to harder questions. But srsly, the textbook is crazy thick but I feel only 30% of the material shows up in the paper🤣 But each paper is different, so make sure you have a good understanding of the exam questions, look through the mark scheme and some examiner's report contain student's model answers, So, some long 5 mark questions, just memorize the model answer. It will come up many times so you will have lots of practice rewriting the same thing🤣🤣🤣
Original post by robot1721
Hi, I’ve just started my A level Biology course & I’m finding it very difficult. I’ve been learning about water & at the moment it feels like I’m learning chemistry. Should I swap it for another subject? bearing in mind that I already dropped maths for biology. I don’t know what to do.

Hey. I took Biology and sat my exams in 2019. When I started Biology (I did AQA) I also found it very different but I wanted to keep it because I thought I would need it when applying for a uni course. What do you want to do in the future?

If you are struggling, I would say definitely talk to your teacher or get someone smart in your class to help you with what you do not understand. There are also loads of videos on YouTube - I remember Tailored Tutors being really helpful. You need to simplify it as much as possible and try to think about the format of the exams as much as you can. So if you are learning about the properties of water, find some exam questions from your exam board and memorise the mark scheme and incorporate the mark scheme in your notes because in Biology they look for VERY specific language in the exams. This helped me so much in Biology because they were so specific and then I would write these mark scheme answers on flashcards and memorise.

But pls do talk to your teacher and if you are not enjoying it, then maybe swap it if you can?

Quick Reply

Latest