SeokPark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have 2 unconditional offers , struggling to decide which one to go for. One is a top Russell group at top 15 with only 3 modules and a 120 credit( dissertation) . Another one is a top 40 University which have 9 modules (20 credit dissertation) .
Telomere
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SeokPark)
I have 2 unconditional offers , struggling to decide which one to go for. One is a top Russell group at top 15 with only 3 modules and a 120 credit( dissertation) . Another one is a top 40 University which have 9 modules (20 credit dissertation) .
Are you interested in a variety of modules and being taught or are you interested in a couple of core modules and a major research project?

I wouldn't focus too much on perceived prestige - the structure is massively more important. If you are well organised and good at working independently then the 120 credit dissertation may be perfect for you - otherwise, go for the one with more taught modules.

Not everyone who is a good student is a good researcher. It's a different skill set. I know people with firsts in every module who really struggled with dissertations. I also know people who were solid 2:2 students in taught classes who thrived when doing independent research..

Do a bit of self-reflection, being as honest as you can be with yourself, and think about how you learn best and what you enjoy.

Good luck!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SeokPark)
Go with the one that interests you the most
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Unless there is a very great gap between the perceived prestige of the institutions, for example, Oxbridge v all others or a Redbrick/RG v a bottom tier post-92, the course structures should be more important. Pick the one that you think would suit you better. Along with that, you should also look into the location (rural v city campuses, size of city, social life, caliber of lecturing staff, links to industry if the master's is career related, etc)

Most of the more established universities (London/Durham, Civics, Plate-glasses) outside of Oxbridge are pretty much on the same level to most people, and the idea of 'prestige' is very much a TSR fetish and irrelevant unless the topic of discussion is Oxbridge.

People here often go on about Warwick (a plate-glass), Imperial or Durham (some would even include Bath!), yet how are they any more 'prestigious' than say, the Sottish Ancients such as Glasgow, Edinburgh or St Andrews, or for that matter, redbricks such as Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester by any objective and reliable metrics?

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (88)
21.62%
No (319)
78.38%

Watched Threads