how soon do nursing placements start? part time job?

Watch this thread
NurseCarol
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello guys, I start my nursing degree in September, I am just wondering exactly how soon they will put me on a placement in the first year, because I'd like to get a part time job, but assume I may have to quit it once placements start. Will i have enough time for a job while on placements? And if not, is it worth starting a part time job this close to uni?
pink00
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Wondering this too !! On my course someone has been told there’ll be two weeks before Christmas of placement however this might not happen and then it should start up in January however I think we’re about to have second wave so that could affect it again.
We haven’t had any confirmation of anything tho
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nursingstudentuk)
Hello guys, I start my nursing degree in September, I am just wondering exactly how soon they will put me on a placement in the first year, because I'd like to get a part time job, but assume I may have to quit it once placements start. Will i have enough time for a job while on placements? And if not, is it worth starting a part time job this close to uni?
(Original post by pink00)
Wondering this too !! On my course someone has been told there’ll be two weeks before Christmas of placement however this might not happen and then it should start up in January however I think we’re about to have second wave so that could affect it again.
We haven’t had any confirmation of anything tho
Placements are generally about 7/8 weeks blocks as you will do about 3 in first year & second year and probably 2 in final year .
You will do about 7/8 weeks probably at university first of all learning the basis nursing skills etc before going on placement, the course is about a 50/50 split of university blocks & placements.

For working part-time job as well - you can easily manage this during your university blocks but won't know your shifts patterns on placements untill you are allocated these nearer the time, you can work around your placement hours but till them perhaps do only weekends and once you know your placement hours on shifts etc then ask for extra hours at part-time job.
Also remember to allow yourself time to do any coursework stuff after you finish university for day ok.
NurseCarol
Rep:
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Placements are generally about 7/8 weeks blocks as you will do about 3 in first year & second year and probably 2 in final year .
You will do about 7/8 weeks probably at university first of all learning the basis nursing skills etc before going on placement, the course is about a 50/50 split of university blocks & placements.

For working part-time job as well - you can easily manage this during your university blocks but won't know your shifts patterns on placements untill you are allocated these nearer the time, you can work around your placement hours but till them perhaps do only weekends and once you know your placement hours on shifts etc then ask for extra hours at part-time job.
Also remember to allow yourself time to do any coursework stuff after you finish university for day ok.
Thank you for this reply. I may start looking for a job then
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It varies between universities. You should get a course plan pretty much as soon as you start, giving you a rough idea of when you’re in uni or on placement
NurseCarol
Rep:
(Original post by moonkatt)
It varies between universities. You should get a course plan pretty much as soon as you start, giving you a rough idea of when you’re in uni or on placement
I hope soo I am so curious and excited lol, I just want to know when everything is happening
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for this reply. I may start looking for a job then
You welcome ok, and as moonkatt said to it varies from university to university okay.
NurseCarol
Rep:
You welcome ok, and as moonkatt said to it varies from university to university okay.
ok, thanks :thumbsup:
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
ok, thanks :thumbsup:
You welcome and hope you enjoy your course as well xx
NurseCarol
Rep:
You welcome and hope you enjoy your course as well xx
Thank you! I hope so too
I may have already asked, but do you have any advice in general (can be literally anything) about nursing (study, placements or work)? Sorry to put you on the spot lol
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! I hope so too
I may have already asked, but do you have any advice in general (can be literally anything) about nursing (study, placements or work)? Sorry to put you on the spot lol
I will PM you ok .
NurseCarol
Rep:
I will PM you ok .
thank you
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
thank you
Most welcome hunni ok 😃 😘 x
pink00
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I feel like we’re about to have a second, even stricter, lockdown and it will all be interrupted again 😔
NurseCarol
Rep:
(Original post by pink00)
I feel like we’re about to have a second, even stricter, lockdown and it will all be interrupted again 😔
oh God. I hope not. I genuinely don't know who I'm supposed to get registered without the placements.. well, acutally you literally cant be can you? The NMC literally states that you need to do at least (I believe its) 2300 hours of placement during your time as a student nurse. :I oh God. please... let's all pray
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
oh God. I hope not. I genuinely don't know who I'm supposed to get registered without the placements.. well, acutally you literally cant be can you? The NMC literally states that you need to do at least (I believe its) 2300 hours of placement during your time as a student nurse. :I oh God. please... let's all pray
Yes, you do have to do 2300 hours o placement, and the same amount of theory.
So with current students.... all students got pulled out of placement back in the beginning of March. 1st years have stayed on theory only since. 2nd and 3rd years got to opt in to placements. This has made things a bit more different for accommodating hours for these students in the future (I'm letting the universities figure this out... I'll deal with things as students get thrown my way on my ward!) From your point of view, the university HAS to give you the opportunity to get the placements and the hours and WILL make sure you get the opportunities... and somehow get it sorted around whatever else is going on in the world, including pandemics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (46)
70.77%
In the post (2)
3.08%
Text (9)
13.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
12.31%

Watched Threads