The Student Room Group

How to leave a toxic friend?

My "best friend" recently has become very toxic since staring sixth form last weekend she acted as if everything was normal on Saturday morning as she FaceTimed me for an hour then left me on opened the rest of the day on snapchat until 9:30 at night when she said I irritate her, after 'sorting it out' she left me on opened again all Sunday ir ruined my weekend but on Monday she said it was just a disagreement and was all friendly and fake, ive stared to try and distance myself without being rude to her to not cause drama but tonight she left me on opened again so ive just left it for today I cba it seems like she leaves it till the weekend to be off with me (maybe so she doesn't have to worry about school tomorrow?) im not sure what to do should I try and sort it out tomorrow or just leave it and see what happens on Monday? im so stressed and annoyed as today in school I told her how stressed and sad ive been recently.

Scroll to see replies

1) Ignore her. Don’t even bother messaging her again. You don’t have time for negative energy and toxicity in your life. Just match her energy. She leaves you on read, you do the same.

2) Don’t open up to toxic people. They don’t care and they never will. She said you irritate her? Be prideful and move on. You deserve SO MUCH MORE.

Please don’t message her again xx
Block and delete her! No communication required.
Reply 3
Why did she leave you on read? Did you ask if everything was alright? Did you do anything that would be irritating?
What do you mean she was acting fake?

The comments saying cut off contact are way overboard for someone leaving you on read for 2 days.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Why did she leave you on read? Did you ask if everything was alright? Did you do anything that would be irritating?
What do you mean she was acting fake?

The comments saying cut off contact are way overboard for someone leaving you on read for 2 days.

read through the post again, it seems to be a recurring thing that this girl is doing to her. combined with the fact she called her irritating and the pieces fall together
Reply 5
Original post by martialarts98
read through the post again, it seems to be a recurring thing that this girl is doing to her. combined with the fact she called her irritating and the pieces fall together

"since staring sixth form last weekend" - Meaning it has only been happening for a week.
Everyone says nasty things some times. Something is obviously going on with this girl, cutting her off is a rather large leap.
"since staring sixth form last weekend" - Meaning it has only been happening for a week.
Everyone says nasty things some times. Something is obviously going on with this girl, cutting her off is a rather large leap.

It is not an excuse to act like a piece of **** though. I'd have blocked her in a heartbeat, toxic people don't deserve a second chance.
Reply 7
It is not an excuse to act like a piece of **** though. I'd have blocked her in a heartbeat, toxic people don't deserve a second chance.

Someone leaves you on read twice and calls you irritating ( then note, she apologizes. everyone takes things differently, its best to ask the OP questions rather than jumping to a rather large conclusion ) and you block them?
How immature.
Block her on everything she is no longer your friend she has lost a very nice friend in you ignore her at school never talk with her ever again she has hurt you so much she is not a very nice person at all let your mum know whats going on as you say she is a fake
Someone leaves you on read twice and calls you irritating ( then note, she apologizes. everyone takes things differently, its best to ask the OP questions rather than jumping to a rather large conclusion ) and you block them?
How immature.

She ignored her three times, including after she apologised. You're calling me immature, but you can't even read! Stay in your lane.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Scottishlad888
Block her on everything she is no longer your friend she has lost a very nice friend in you ignore her at school never talk with her ever again she has hurt you so much she is not a very nice person at all let your mum know whats going on as you say she is a fake

100% true! Never tolerate toxicity!
Reply 11
She ignored her three times, including after they apologised. You're calling me immature, but you can't even read you silly *****. Stay in your lane.

Three then, big difference :rolleyes: She could have been busy, she could have something going on at home, something could have happened. OP never said anything about checking in with her. This friend's behavior is concerning, not toxic.
Three then, big difference :rolleyes: She could have been busy, she could have something going on at home, something could have happened. OP never said anything about checking in with her. This friend's behavior is concerning, not toxic.

Not when said OP wants to possibly end the friendship, and that the 'friend' is making her feel like **** (and knowingly doing something that makes her feel like **** AFTER APOLOGISING). She didn't stop after apologising (like you assumed, before assuming i was immature - just shows how stupid assumptions are really which is ironic given that you told me to stop doing the same thing). There is no excuse for that, and you should read properly before replying to others suggestions.
(edited 3 years ago)
I agree-jumping to “blocking” and discarding a friend as toxic without having an actual proper conversation first is a bit dramatic.

Fair play if there is a mature discussion about what is going on but doesn’t look like there has been so far.

Throwing away a friendship for what could be resolved easily with an honest an open discussion is far more toxic than “leaving on read”

But then again, if that’s all it takes for OP to want to leave the friendship then maybe they aren’t particularly good friends in the first place.
Original post by GabiAbi84
I agree-jumping to “blocking” and discarding a friend as toxic without having an actual proper conversation first is a bit dramatic.

Fair play if there is a mature discussion about what is going on but doesn’t look like there has been so far.

Throwing away a friendship for what could be resolved easily with an honest an open discussion is far more toxic than “leaving on read”

But then again, if that’s all it takes for OP to want to leave the friendship then maybe they aren’t particularly good friends in the first place.

She ignored her again after she apologised to OP (as explicitly stated in the post). Good friends don't willingly do things that make others feel like ****. Its a good idea to read between the lines with things like this. An apology is pretty much null and void if behaviour change isn't implemented to avoid the transgressions i.e. spending 2 seconds to write a message saying you're not available can save hours of anxiety on the other end.
(edited 3 years ago)

They are only young kids one is trying to get the upper hand over the other one thats what some people do young or older
She ignored her again after she apologised to OP (as explicitly stated in the post). Good friends don't willingly do things that make others feel like ****. Its a good idea to read between the lines with things like this.

And it’s also a good idea to suggest conflict resolution before spitting the dummy out.

Also a good idea to give a friend the benefit of the doubt in that there might be more going on than is being said here.
And it’s also a good idea to suggest conflict resolution before spitting the dummy out.

Also a good idea to give a friend the benefit of the doubt in that there might be more going on than is being said here.

Surely said friend can spend 2 seconds sending over a message to her to say shes not available. This is very rudimentary stuff that shouldn't have to be spelt out to them
Reply 18
Surely said friend can spend 2 seconds sending over a message to her to say shes not available. This is very rudimentary stuff that shouldn't have to be spelt out to them

Friends dont owe the other their time. They should be expected to be understanding.
If your not available, you are not available. That means you dont have time or are in the mental state to shoot a text :redface:
Original post by Scottishlad888
They are only young kids one is trying to get the upper hand over the other one thats what some people do young or older

Or perhaps her friend has personal problems that have nothing to do with the OP that she’s not dealing with very well.
Or perhaps the OP has done something wrong and the friend isn’t dealing with that very well either.
We only know one minor half of the story.

As I said-if the friendship isn’t worth trying to sort it out then it’s not really a friendship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending