Shetlands may want independence from Scotland

Watch
caravaggio2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...assed-snp-news

So the biter bit. The oil and fish rich Shetlands may want to leave Scotland.
It will be interesting to see the SNPs arguments for not granting the Shetlands independence if this referendum goes that way.
Perhaps they could c&p Westministers argument put forward to deny Scotland their referendum.😏
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's somewhat understandable. The Shetlanders (and the Orcadians too) are very much their own people and identity, quite removed from mainstream Scottish culture in many ways, lots of Nordic influence, quite uncommon to see Scottish flags up there. Can't see them ever becoming a sovereign independent nation, but a self-governing territory of the UK or Scotland could be a possibility, similar to the arrangement between the Faroe Islands and Denmark.
Last edited by Wōden; 2 weeks ago
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
It will be interesting to see the SNPs arguments for not granting the Shetlands independence if this referendum goes that way.
Perhaps they could c&p Westministers argument put forward to deny Scotland their referendum.😏
Doesn't really work given that they've not had a once-in-a-generation vote less than six years ago.

The divisions created by nationalism and other identity politics usually create even further divisions. If you assert that Britain is divisible, so then is Scotland. Why should Shetland, with its wealth and the thinly veiled contempt it receives from an administration in Edinburgh, back up a proposal from Scottish nationalists? It's entirely reasonable.

I suppose a lot of the SNP don't much care. They see Shetland as part of their country, but a distant and slightly annoying place that never votes for them - probably much like some English Conservatives see Scotland. But, similarly, once Shetland breaking away becomes credible, what stops the whole house of cards from falling down? The Borders aren't very keen on the Nationalists - what's to keep them as part of a breakaway Scottish state?
Last edited by L i b; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (55)
20.3%
No (216)
79.7%

Watched Threads