The Student Room Group

Does my future plan sound good?

Ok so I finished year 13 but didn’t want to go to uni so I didn’t apply. Plus, I’m retaking 2 in the summer.

I want to become a pilot, that is my ultimate goal. However, the job is pretty volatile (as you can probably tell with corona). So I need a back-up plan as something to fall back on. I also need to save up at least £50k somehow.

So I was thinking about taking doing accounting apprenticeships until I reached chartered status. At that point, I should already have a few thousand saved up plus I will have a valuable qualification. Hopefully over the few years this will take, the corona situation would be better and the job market for pilots will be restored (to some extent). Even if it’s not, I could just continue the accountancy.

Does this sound like a good idea? My mum is complaining a little that I’m not going to uni but my heart really isn’t in that. Do you have to go there to be successful?
Original post by missnesbit
Ok so I finished year 13 but didn’t want to go to uni so I didn’t apply. Plus, I’m retaking 2 in the summer.

I want to become a pilot, that is my ultimate goal. However, the job is pretty volatile (as you can probably tell with corona). So I need a back-up plan as something to fall back on. I also need to save up at least £50k somehow.

So I was thinking about taking doing accounting apprenticeships until I reached chartered status. At that point, I should already have a few thousand saved up plus I will have a valuable qualification. Hopefully over the few years this will take, the corona situation would be better and the job market for pilots will be restored (to some extent). Even if it’s not, I could just continue the accountancy.

Does this sound like a good idea? My mum is complaining a little that I’m not going to uni but my heart really isn’t in that. Do you have to go there to be successful?

Sounds a good plan. The only thing I'd change is that in the first year you get a job, save up and buy yourself about 5 hours of flying lessons. That way you will get a feel for whether you've actually got any aptitude and you enjoy the environment of aviation. If you do, then try and do a few hours each year and keep learning,
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Sounds a good plan. The only thing I'd change is that in the first year you get a job, save up and buy yourself about 5 hours of flying lessons. That way you will get a feel for whether you've actually got any aptitude and you enjoy the environment of aviation. If you do, then try and do a few hours each year and keep learning,

Thank you! I will definitely do a discovery flight and try to get a PPL soon
I don't want to discourage anyone from their ambitions - but I know three pilots who all paid tens of thousands for training - and none of them have jobs. After years, two of them have given up and I think the third had a short stint at Qatar before being laid off.

Also, at the moment, the industry is in the absolute toilet due to the lack of air travel taking place. Depending on how long that takes to get back together - you could be competing for a job against a lot of experienced pilots.

I'd certainly heed the advice above and try it out. But I think it would be very very wise to look to an airline that will train you - and in any event definitely have a back up plan.
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
I don't want to discourage anyone from their ambitions - but I know three pilots who all paid tens of thousands for training - and none of them have jobs. After years, two of them have given up and I think the third had a short stint at Qatar before being laid off.

Also, at the moment, the industry is in the absolute toilet due to the lack of air travel taking place. Depending on how long that takes to get back together - you could be competing for a job against a lot of experienced pilots.

I'd certainly heed the advice above and try it out. But I think it would be very very wise to look to an airline that will train you - and in any event definitely have a back up plan.

Thank you. Yeah, I will definitely take that advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending