are my grades good enough for oxford or cambridge?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got two 7s, four 8s and five 9s (the subjects related to what I want to study are 9s). This is from 2020 (teacher assessed predicted grades) so there will be lots of grade inflation for applicants probably including myself, but I just want to know if these grades are a good starting point (I know that theres a lot of work to be done in y12 and 13 that will ultimately carry more weight but its oxbridge - I'd want my gcses to be good enough for it from the get-go).
I know these grades are good, but they aren't outstanding in the private school I go to, and I'm worried that this means I won't be considered even though I'm in a private school on a bursary meaning I'm somewhat disadvantaged.
Do I have a realistic chance of getting in, and do my grades compare to current oxbridge students? Any advice is very welcome, thank you!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I got two 7s, four 8s and five 9s (the subjects related to what I want to study are 9s). This is from 2020 (teacher assessed predicted grades) so there will be lots of grade inflation for applicants probably including myself, but I just want to know if these grades are a good starting point (I know that theres a lot of work to be done in y12 and 13 that will ultimately carry more weight but its oxbridge - I'd want my gcses to be good enough for it from the get-go).
I know these grades are good, but they aren't outstanding in the private school I go to, and I'm worried that this means I won't be considered even though I'm in a private school on a bursary meaning I'm somewhat disadvantaged.
Do I have a realistic chance of getting in, and do my grades compare to current oxbridge students? Any advice is very welcome, thank you!
Hiya,

Yes your grades are good enough for Oxbridge. They don’t expect everyone to get straight 9s, even though many do.I have read that Oxford puts more weight onto your GCSE grades than Cambridge does when deciding on who to give interviews to (but I’m not an expert I think I read it on one of these threads they rank you based on a number of factors and your GCSE grades are one of them).

So yeah your GCSE grades are not the be all and end all. If you have good A level predicted grades and do well in the entrance exams (plus have a solid PS showing you’re passionate about the subject), you’d have a good chance of being considered for an interview (nothing’s guaranteed with Oxbridge though).

Don’t compare yourselves to others who might have got higher GCSE grades or who have higher predicted grades (when u get to yr12/13). If you are passionate about the course and want to apply and have the grades, do it! Don’t be discouraged by the long application process. You’ll regret it if you don’t try trust me. Because if you try and fail well, at least you tried. But if you don’t, you’ll never know if you’d have gotten in. Take it from someone who didn’t and regrets it now haha.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Which subject(s) would you be aiming to apply for?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Which subject(s) would you be aiming to apply for?
This is an important question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (174)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (583)
48.66%

Watched Threads