Can I lie about my address to get contextual offers?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
hxmza1
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My cousin's postcode allows contextual offers, I only live a few minutes away but mine doesn't. If I put down my address as his, will I get caught and if I do get caught what could happen?
Katzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
What’s the postcode?
Medici66
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There’s a reason why contextual offers exist. Some students are actually disadvantaged.

Major D-bag move if you do this.
username1060297
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is there a post code check?

Will student finance be involved in the check? As in, the university database has a post code and SFE have a post code; they both have to confirm the two when registering you as a student - you get caught.

Bare in mind, contextual offers are for those in those post codes. Living outside of it means, you are statistically in a better neighbourhood.

You are trying to cheat the system. Lol. Why are you telling us you will do this?
coffeequeen
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hxmza1)
My cousin's postcode allows contextual offers, I only live a few minutes away but mine doesn't. If I put down my address as his, will I get caught and if I do get caught what could happen?
If you're applying through your school they can see your information when you fill out your UCAS form so there's a chance they could see you've input the wrong address as I know some schools check the grades etc on the form to ensure everything is correct before it is sent off. It isn't worth the risk and if your university/UCAS found out, it would be taken very seriously and you risk your place or even the whole application being withdrawn
anoncamb
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
tbh I feel like doing the same thing, I live in a poor council estate and my postcode doesn't even qualify for an contextual offer... but literally my gran lives down the road (3 minute walk) and she lives in a HOUSE not a poor estate but that neighbourhood qualifies for a contextual offer... I'm so confused how that works. Before you call me a 'D-bag'... sometimes the statistics aren't even accurate because I live in a poor estate only 2 bedrooms with 6 others and still am not eligible for a contextual offer...
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Dont do that as everything is joined up thinking with all Government Depts in the UK and its not if you will get caught its that you will get caught and you will be charged by the police and taken to court for fraud and you will get put in jail as it was premeditated
Katzen
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anoncamb)
tbh I feel like doing the same thing, I live in a poor council estate and my postcode doesn't even qualify for an contextual offer... but literally my gran lives down the road (3 minute walk) and she lives in a HOUSE not a poor estate but that neighbourhood qualifies for a contextual offer... I'm so confused how that works. Before you call me a 'D-bag'... sometimes the statistics aren't even accurate because I live in a poor estate only 2 bedrooms with 6 others and still am not eligible for a contextual offer...
Exactly that’s why I’m asking him what postcode of his cousin and his so I can write up a Department of Reconsideration letter which he can use as a template.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
My advice is not to risk it.

I know it seems tempting, but if you are caught it could mean that your whole application being cancelled.
Its fraud. You are knowingly making a false statement. Do you really want to spend the whole of this year worrying about whether UCAS or any of your chosen Unis will spot your lie?
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Just don't. It's a stupid move.
Napp
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
Dont do that as everything is joined up thinking with all Government Depts in the UK and its not if you will get caught its that you will get caught and you will be charged by the police and taken to court for fraud and you will get put in jail as it was premeditated
I imagine the plods and courts have better things to do than waste resources on this most petty of acts :lol:
justjas33
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Don’t risk it!!
If it flops, your whole application will be dashed out essentially and you won’t be able to apply anywhere, let alone get a contextual offer.

anoncamb as for you anoncamb, defo speak to your school, you defo should be eligible (I’m sorry that you’re not for whatever crazy reason!) so hopefully your school can help you with that. If not, maybe ring UCAS? But pls don’t use your gran’s postcode, the last thing I’m sure you want is your entire application to be revoked!
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Schools will notice if people put their address down wrong - they do a final check of the form after writing the reference to check that all the details are correct.

UCAS can't help as either your postcode fits a universities criteria or it doesn't. Unis use different criteria so it's worth checking their websites individually to see if you can qualify under either your postcode or your school being underperforming or some other reason - but if you don't qualify it probably means your postcode isn't that bad and neither is your school :dontknow:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I can’t actually believe I am reading this.

We live in a modest house in a posh village. My dad lives in a nice house in a poor area where the schools aren’t fantastic.

My sons would never dream of using their grandad’s postcode to get into Oxford and if they had, I would have been thoroughly ashamed of them.
CTLeafez
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It really brings your integrity into question. If I were the admissions officer and found out you’d lied, I’d report it to UCAS and then they’d feed this info to all your other choices. No self respecting Uni would want to take a student who evidently doesn’t view lying/fraud to get into Uni as too far.

Wouldn’t you much rather get into Uni on your own merits rather than taking advantage of a system used to help the genuinely disadvantaged?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hxmza1)
Cant say if you will get caught although how are you going to fake living at your cousins?
Maybe when they find out they will be so impressed at your ingenuity , cleverness and enthusiasm to get into the uni they will award you a prize and have a good laugh about it. If the uni caught you, then whats the worst that could happen? Use your imagination.
anoncamb
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I can’t actually believe I am reading this.

We live in a modest house in a posh village. My dad lives in a nice house in a poor area where the schools aren’t fantastic.

My sons would never dream of using their grandad’s postcode to get into Oxford and if they had, I would have been thoroughly ashamed of them.
no one said anything about applying to oxford... I have never even considered it...I don't understand what your point is. Your showing off the fact you and your dad live in nice houses... okay?? Does your son study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths whilst also trying to share a room with 2 younger bothers and 2 younger sisters? No. we literally have one bunk bed in our small room... so most of the time I'm sleeping on the sofa whilst they share the beds...and I have barely anywhere to revise if its not at school... so don't comment on stuff you don't understand... I literally would just stay with my gran right now, if it wasn't for corona... but obviously I can't do that! It's really not lying, if I do occasionally stay with her anyway (when I'd like to get a good sleep), she even gave up her bedroom to me during my gcses whilst she was residing in the living room)... but I can't do that forever because I have responsibilities at home with my siblings and my gran deserves her room. You and your son are privileged whether you believe it or not, I am just unfortunate enough to live in a council estate which is adjacent to some very nice houses... its probably those houses which prevent my area from being eligible for contextual offers... so don't compare your situation and mine!
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anoncamb)
no one said anything about applying to oxford... I have never even considered it...I don't understand what your point is. Your showing off the fact you and your dad live in nice houses... okay?? Does your son study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths whilst also trying to share a room with 2 younger bothers and 2 younger sisters? No. we literally have one bunk bed in our small room... so most of the time I'm sleeping on the sofa whilst they share the beds...and I have barely anywhere to revise if its not at school... so don't comment on stuff you don't understand... I literally would just stay with my gran right now, if it wasn't for corona... but obviously I can't do that! It's really not lying, if I do occasionally stay with her anyway (when I'd like to get a good sleep), she even gave up her bedroom to me during my gcses whilst she was residing in the living room)... but I can't do that forever because I have responsibilities at home with my siblings and my gran deserves her room. You and your son are privileged whether you believe it or not, I am just unfortunate enough to live in a council estate which is adjacent to some very nice houses... its probably those houses which prevent my area from being eligible for contextual offers... so don't compare your situation and mine!
It would be lying. I don’t comment on the morality of that because frankly I don’t care but at least be honest with yourself that it would be a lie
anoncamb
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
It really brings your integrity into question. If I were the admissions officer and found out you’d lied, I’d report it to UCAS and then they’d feed this info to all your other choices. No self respecting Uni would want to take a student who evidently doesn’t view lying/fraud to get into Uni as too far.

Wouldn’t you much rather get into Uni on your own merits rather than taking advantage of a system used to help the genuinely disadvantaged?
I understand what you are trying to say, but no system is 100% accurate. Some of us are genuinely disadvantaged but we are not accounted for... more holistic approaches would be better than looking at statistics in my opinion. Image this: Scenario 1: an 18yo only-child with a mother and father who both went to uni but both have quite low paying jobs live in a decent house but in a quintile 2 area Scenario 2: 18yo with 4 younger siblings with 2 parents who didn't go uni in a small council flat in a quintile 3 area (an area only 0.5 miles away from the boy in quintile 2). Are you saying the boy in scenario 1 is more disadvantaged than the boy in scenario 2? Because I disagree. <-- True story fyi
username2825764
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
you know background checks are a thing? lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads