The Student Room Group

Uni

Most of my friends are going far for uni and I’m not I’m nervous I’m going to be on my own as I’ve decided to take a year out.
Hey there, I actually took 2 years out after school because I had to serve mandatory national service in my home country, before starting Uni in the UK.

My advice is this - in that one year you are likely going to gain so many experiences that your friends won’t, because you’ll have a chance to be out in the ‘real world’ (ie not sheltered behind a tightly structured school routine) sooner than they will. It’ll give you new perspectives on things, and you’ll start uni with a much clearer mind IMO.

I totally understand the FOMO from seeing all your friends move on, but trust me by the time uni hits and you start making new friends and adjust to a new routine, you won’t care so much about that at all! In the grand scheme of things, a year is just a tiny little blip in your life :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey there, I actually took 2 years out after school because I had to serve mandatory national service in my home country, before starting Uni in the UK.

My advice is this - in that one year you are likely going to gain so many experiences that your friends won’t, because you’ll have a chance to be out in the ‘real world’ (ie not sheltered behind a tightly structured school routine) sooner than they will. It’ll give you new perspectives on things, and you’ll start uni with a much clearer mind IMO.

I totally understand the FOMO from seeing all your friends move on, but trust me by the time uni hits and you start making new friends and adjust to a new routine, you won’t care so much about that at all! In the grand scheme of things, a year is just a tiny little blip in your life :smile:

Your right, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest