MichaelTeo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone hope you all doing fine. So I'm going to apply to unis in the uk and I'd like to ask about which cities are the cheapest from these:
Leeds
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Newcastle
Lincoln
Coventry
And if you also know about the cost of living for the basics:rent food and utilities please do say.
cutiepatootie11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
not too sure. why not search it up! or i will and i will message u in private about it
MichaelTeo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've searched about them but I would like to here from people that live there or if they have friends or if they know about the cost thank you though
cutiepatootie11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MichaelTeo)
I've searched about them but I would like to here from people that live there or if they have friends or if they know about the cost thank you though
oh right sorry! it's ok. good luck with finding what one is best!
University of Sheffield Students
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello everyone hope you all doing fine. So I'm going to apply to unis in the uk and I'd like to ask about which cities are the cheapest from these:
Leeds
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Newcastle
Lincoln
Coventry
And if you also know about the cost of living for the basics:rent food and utilities please do say.
Hi there!

I have lived in Sheffield for the past two years and here is my opinion and what I spend:
1) Rent: I lived in Allen Court in year 1 and 2 (newer accommodation) which was £145 a week - this is expensive for uni accom in shef - Endcliffe and Ranmoor are more like £120ish
I now live in a house and rent is £103 a week (most houses are between £80-120)
2) Food: I do a big shop at aldi every 2 weeks and I spend around £50
3) Nights out: I tend to be a bit of a lightweight but nights out in Sheffield are very cheap! £10-20 is all you really need.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield and I'd be more than happy to help!

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus
University of Sheffield Students
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Leeds
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Newcastle
Lincoln
Coventry
Hi MichaelTeo!

Thought I would chip in to add onto what Emily has mentioned. I am originally from York and now live in Sheffield for Uni so can give some perspective on both for you. Student houses in both areas are fairly similar in costs , I have a friend in York and I think she spends just over £100 around £110 I would say per week. Sheffield accommodation is easier to find at a cheaper price, last year in halls I was paying £143 a week which is quite expensive and outside of halls you would get a really good place for that much. I now have a house at £96 per week, it varies depending on what you want . I have friends in Sheffield with £120 a week houses and £70 a week houses so it does vary on the 'quality' of house you want. York as a student city is a lot more expensive I would say than Sheffield, considering nights out and social activities I always spent so much more in York than Sheffield. Food bills wise I think it would be the same in both depending on where you want to shop, around £20 a week in either city is sufficient in my opinion. In York there is a Uni bus that runs from the uni campus to a large Tesco which is quite handy and in Sheffield there is also a bus that runs into the centre and past student halls and the university which is only £1.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Last edited by University of Sheffield Students; 1 week ago
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Leeds
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Newcastle
Lincoln
Coventry
Hi MichaelTeo,

I am not sure about the others, but I can definitely vouch for how cheap Lincoln is to live in as a city. I've lived in Lincoln for over two years now and not once have I had to use a bus or other public transport to get around the city because everything is pretty much on your doorstep, including major supermarkets such as Morrisons.

I have found that accommodation is cheaper than I expected compared to other university cities I looked at when applying for university, and I think you would be pleasantly surprised too.

In terms of basic costs of living, I would say generally your utilities will be pretty much the same regardless of where you live, because they are either included in your rent or you pay a set rate (which is set by energy companies). Away from utilities, food options at Lincoln are great due to the amount of potential shops for food we can utilise. On the hughstreet we have shops such as Iceland, brilliant for your frozen bits and bobs, along with Morrisons which is just a five minute walk from the university campus.

In short, everything is close which saves on travel costs and we have a wide variety of options for accommodation and shopping opportunities.

Is there anything else you are looking at for a university that we could help with?

Connor - Third Year History Student
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Leeds
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Newcastle
Lincoln
Coventry
Hi MichaeLTeo,

I would say Coventry is the cheapest place to live in the Midlands and the costs are comparable to the cities up North.

You can find accommodation in the university halls for as cheaply as 99 pounds a week! The average price is 120 pounds. You can find our accommodation brochure here: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/globalass...m-brochure.pdf

As you can see, the majority of our facilities are brand new, only built in the last few years!

In my opinion, the greatest thing about Coventry is that it is a very student-friendly city! All the university halls are extremely close to the faculty buildings, around 5-10 mins walk. If you want to live in the private rented accommodation, there are also plenty of choices around the city centre, with an average cost of 400 a month and within 15-20 mins walk from the university!

I hope you find this helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Monika
Coventry Campus
LLB International Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (12)
18.75%
No (52)
81.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed