The Student Room Group

Is it normal to sometimes leak at night even when wearing a pad?

It’s jot like I leak through the pad but I guess sometimes form moving around so much the pad moves so I leak. :frown: how do I prevent this
you cant prevent it...i dont think ):
maybe just don't move that much?

anyway it happens to me too sometimes
it happens to me every single month I’ve just learnt to deal with it tbh, i put an old towel on my bed to stop it from going on the sheets and sometimes wake up at night to change my pad
Reply 3
I usually avoid sleep in my fav PJs because of that!

If you're just using pads then not much can be done aside from finding the right pads for you. I prefer ones without wings as they don't seem to bend too much to one side. Bigger ones cover more. See what works for you :smile:
Try a tampon maybe?
Yes, its normal.
Do you buy thick night time pads for evening use?
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Try a tampon maybe?

Noooo!!! OP please don’t use a tampon when you sleep! If you ever end up sleeping more than 8 hours, either purposefully or by accident, you could end up getting TSS! Get some big night time pads instead. They cover more area and are more absorbent to prevent leakage as much as possible
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Noooo!!! OP please don’t use a tampon when you sleep! If you ever end up sleeping more than 8 hours, either purposefully or by accident, you could end up getting TSS! Get some big night time pads instead. They cover more area and are more absorbent to prevent leakage as much as possible

Oh what, really?!
Sorry, I had no idea! I was just speaking from experience, but I guess that's something I should stop doing :redface:
Oh what, really?!
Sorry, I had no idea! I was just speaking from experience, but I guess that's something I should stop doing :redface:

Yes, you definitely shouldn’t sleep with a tampon unless you are 110% sure you will be waking up within 8 hours to take it out. TSS can be very dangerous
Dont worry hun I literally experience this just this morning. I am on a pill so my periods are quite irregular. I advice laying an old towel down before you sleep. It isnt anything you're doing wrong. If it helps also change to night time pads. They are larger.
happens to me all. the. time.

it’s normal :smile:
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Yes, you definitely shouldn’t sleep with a tampon unless you are 110% sure you will be waking up within 8 hours to take it out. TSS can be very dangerous

Thanks so much for the info!
Thanks so much for the info!

No problem :smile:
Reply 13
You can prevent leakage by going to the toilet before you sleep.
I’m a restless sleeper so wear the pad as normal with a pair of knickers and add an additional pair of knickers over the top (preferably snug). It’s all over the show when I don’t. Wings help me too.

There are also cups which can be worn for 12 hours! :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes
Someone suggested to me to wear those adult nappies, I haven't gotten round to trying it. At least then I can sleep in peace knowing I won't make a mess.

I bleed quite heavy sometimes, I have tablets for this but don't like to take them if I can avoid it

Otherwise, long night winged pads, with double pants, a nightie that's not my fave, towel on the sheet tucked in on both sides under the mattress to avoid it moving, and mattress protector.
I've had it happen before, mostly because the pad itself has a tendency to move. I tried a different brand and it seems to work better, so I would maybe suggest trying some different styles / brands of pads to see if anything works better. I also found it helpful to make sure the pad was in the right place and just adjusting it slightly if not, i know you can't do it whilst asleep but most of my moving is when i'm trying to get to sleep.If you sleep on your side you could try putting a pillow behind you to stop you turning / moving to much whilst asleep too. Other than that you could try a mooncup or something similar.

Quick Reply

Latest