Rkam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
whats the difference between the waves, is mechanical waves just waves that travel through a medium and is progressive waves, waves that transfer energy from a source without transferring material
do mechanical waves also not transfer material but just energy
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rkam)
whats the difference between the waves, is mechanical waves just waves that travel through a medium and is progressive waves, waves that transfer energy from a source without transferring material
do mechanical waves also not transfer material but just energy
'Mechanical waves' refers to those waves which consist of actual material vibrating. (A physical medium). For example, water waves and sound waves. This is in contrast to electromagnetic waves, where there is no material medium. These waves consist of an electric and magnetic field. (This is ignoring the idea of wave-particle duality, which would confuse the answer to your particular question.)
All progressive waves transfer energy (but not material) from one place to another; both mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (581)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (698)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (342)
20.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.59%

Watched Threads