Elzxx11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey everyone. I'm getting really stressed because I think I've chosen super random a levels. I've chosen Chemistry, English lit and Music. I chose them because I enjoy them but now I'm worried I won't be able to get into uni etc..
Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated
Rufus the red
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd say it depends what you're planning to do as a degree but there isn't anything badly wrong with your choices - do what you like to do and enjoy it you aren't doing it for anyone other than yourself.
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well that wholly depends on what you want to study at uni
LegsEleven17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re choices are absolutely fine!
I do french drama and maths
My friend does chemistry history and Spanish
It’s all about choosing what you enjoy! Then consequently you will be able to do what you enjoy at university
Elzxx11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Panjsuce)
Well that wholly depends on what you want to study at uni
hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% sure but I was thinking of going down the performing arts route
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Elzxx11)
hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% sure but I was thinking of going down the performing arts route
No worries, I would check their entry requirements to see for any required or preferred subjects they ask for!
JosephCiderBwoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone. I'm getting really stressed because I think I've chosen super random a levels. I've chosen Chemistry, English lit and Music. I chose them because I enjoy them but now I'm worried I won't be able to get into uni etc..
Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated
I did French, maths and music - had a blast and got A*AA in them, respectively. I guess with related subjects, it's easier to revise them, e.g. maths, further maths and physics, but it depends how good you are at them. I chose subjects I both liked and excelled in, so it was an easy choice for me.
If you want to pursue a degree, you could definitely do any of the three subjects, but most people who go on to study chemistry do A Level maths. Similarly, I couldn't go on to any of the top unis to do maths without further maths, so that wasn't an option for me, but I chose to pursue a languages degree anyway
Elzxx11
Rep:
?
(Original post by JosephCiderBwoy)
I did French, maths and music - had a blast and got A*AA in them, respectively. I guess with related subjects, it's easier to revise them, e.g. maths, further maths and physics, but it depends how good you are at them. I chose subjects I both liked and excelled in, so it was an easy choice for me.
If you want to pursue a degree, you could definitely do any of the three subjects, but most people who go on to study chemistry do A Level maths. Similarly, I couldn't go on to any of the top unis to do maths without further maths, so that wasn't an option for me, but I chose to pursue a languages degree anyway
Yeah. I just wanted a range of things I guess and I just did what I enjoyed. I was okay with them but I'm just overthinking everything now and am really worried about it. I got straight a*s at gcse and I am just overthinking my decisions I guess. I have checked and I can do music or drama, I could do a chemistry course and I could do and English course so I'm hoping I'll be fine
JosephCiderBwoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah. I just wanted a range of things I guess and I just did what I enjoyed. I was okay with them but I'm just overthinking everything now and am really worried about it. I got straight a*s at gcse and I am just overthinking my decisions I guess. I have checked and I can do music or drama, I could do a chemistry course and I could do and English course so I'm hoping I'll be fine
Sounds all fine, then! Top places aren't too fussed about subject choices, just in case you were thinking of applying to Oxbridge. My friend, who does biology at Oxford, did A Level photography. Don't stress too much about A Levels; they are stressful, but they're fun too.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They're fine if you're interested and enjoy them, but be aware that you probably not be able to apply to many top chemistry courses for direct entry due to only having one A-level science, and would have a somewhat weaker application for that subject elsewhere for direct entry. However most STEM degrees are available at a wide range of unis with a foundation year for those who didn't take mutliple (or indeed any) science/maths subjects at A-level.

For most humanities and social science subjects though your A-level choices aren't that important and most have no specific requirements at all. The exceptions being history degrees usually require A-level history, economics degrees require A-level Maths, geography courses sometimes require A-level Geography and most language degrees prefer some language A-level, even if it's not in the target language, although very often it is possible to start a new language at degree level if you have demonstrated language learning ability (e.g. a language A-level in a different language).
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in Year 13 doing French, art, maths and further maths (so, like you, an unusual combination of A-levels). So far I've never heard of it being likely to be a problem for university.

Although that advice is limited to the maths and architecture degree courses I've been looking at, I'm pretty sure that an unusual combination of A-levels isn't a problem for most degree courses (presumably not every single degree course though ).

In my opinion, it's true that some subjects being similar makes them marginally easier to study alongside each other - eg. essay subjects, maths and physics, etc. On the other hand, you may well actually find that it is really nice to have a wide variety (there's never too much of just one thing) (that's what I found, although obviously you won't necessarily be the same as me).

So just to reiterate what the others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. Chemistry and English are both facilitating subjects so they're likely to keep options quite open anyway, as far as I'm aware.

Good luck in your A-levels.
Elzxx11
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! I guess I'm just overthinking everything. Thank you and good luck for the future xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads