Higher apprenticeship or BSc Economics degree?

Watch
atkk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have an offer for a higher apprenticeship for a financial services company, but a place to study BSc Economics at Royal Holloway (a top 20 UK university).
I am unsure of what to do, as I always wanted a degree apprenticeship.

I am thinking to take the apprenticeship and do a degree later on (part-time), as COVID-19 will increase competition for grad schemes and decrease jobs by the time I graduate.

What are your thoughts? Please bear in mind the adverse effects of COVID-19 on employment for graduates.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by atkk)
I have an offer for a higher apprenticeship for a financial services company, but a place to study BSc Economics at Royal Holloway (a top 20 UK university).

I am thinking to take the apprenticeship and do a degree later on (part-time), as COVID-19 will increase competition for grad schemes and decrease jobs by the time I graduate.

What are your thoughts? Please bear in mind the adverse effects of COVID-19 on employment for graduates.
if the higher apprenticeship is good pay and gets you the full degree then sounds like a great option for you
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
completely depends on the company
atkk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
It's with Santander, and isn't a degree apprenticeship - it's a higher apprenticeship.
I'm weighing up experience and job stability with an Economics degree.
ghjajkfa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In this climate I would go with the apprenticeship. It will give you a lot of experience if you later decide to opt for a degree which will help you far more in the jobs market. Also, student life is not what people are expecting this year because of covid so you are more likely to get the experience that you want if you wait.
LiviLu100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I ended up leaving university after a couple months to do a higher apprenticeship in marketing (level 4 equivalent to foundation degree). I can honestly say it's the best decision I made. All my tuition fees are paid for by my employer and I am paid a good salary (I am paid for my working days Mon-Thurs plus my study day on Fridays), while all my friends who went to uni are racking up student debt and having to work every hour they're not in uni to try and earn some money. I do all my studying remotely through a professional college and am assigned my own tutor and have access to other apprentices. Much like uni, I will take some exams at the end of my course (it's a two year course) and this will allow me to become a member of the regulatory body of professionals for marketing (CIM). I will also have over two years hands-on experience of actually working within a marketing role and it's this experience which is really important to future employees and is what university graduates will not have. I am also considering taking more exams in the future (on a part-time basis while employed), but once I have finished my current apprenticeship I will be in a much better position to do this (many employers will also offer to pay for higher education courses for employees as part of their development programme), so don't feel like I've missed out at all. Plus, if you make a good impression on your apprenticeship employer you stand a good chance of being offered a permanent position after you finish your apprenticeship!

(Original post by atkk)

What are your thoughts? Please bear in mind the adverse effects of COVID-19 on employment for graduates
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.57%
No (309)
78.43%

Watched Threads