Do you agree that when working in office people should only speak English in UK?

Watch
iNeed2p
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
This might sound more of a fuss but, do you find it nuisance when working with people, there is always these two people who will start speaking different language even though you’re working with them as a team. I think just like the school in the workplace other languages should be banned and a person should only speak English. Because other colleagues sometimes might be offended or might think you’re saying something negative about them that they don’t want to know. But when you walk out the office, you can speak any language that you want, I mean it’s a free country. And for **** sake don’t speak another language when a friend is around you who don’t came from where you came from.

Conclusively, since this is becoming more of a rampant these days, I believe other languages should be banned from the workplaces and should be an offence except for some circumstance like helping clients to speak to them so that you understand them and help them. Any one breaches these rule should get immediate dismissal. This issue has been rising but it’s perpetual.
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It's not that deep.

Don't be mad that you only know one language
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseafan)
It's not that deep.

Don't be mad that you only know one language
Lol, i'm not deranged and FYI I speak 5 languages.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No I don’t agree.
I agree that any official communication should be made in English (and in certain work places, a second or third language can also be made available)
But you cannot restrict people from speaking other languages in an office or work place.
If it causes issues then that is up to management to deal with and ensure everyone is working in a healthy workplace environment but a blanket ban is not necessary.
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
No I don’t agree.
I agree that any official communication should be made in English (and in certain work places, a second or third language can also be made available)
But you cannot restrict people from speaking other languages in an office or work place.
If it causes issues then that is up to management to deal with and ensure everyone is working in a healthy workplace environment but a blanket ban is not necessary.
It's not good practise to speak another language when you all have one target to meet in the end of the day. In the office or workplace people should speak only English these will benefit them even if English is their second language as they will improve. But when you're speaking another language other than English in the workplace then expect people to prefer to work with other people rather than that person speaking another language always. It benefits both individuals sake that they speak English while they're working.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by iNeed2p)
It's not good practise to speak another language when you all have one target to meet in the end of the day. In the office or workplace people should speak only English these will benefit them even if English is their second language as they will improve. But when you're speaking another language other than English in the workplace then expect people to prefer to work with other people rather than that person speaking another language always. It benefits both individuals sake that they speak English while they're working.
That is your opinion.
I have already stated mine.
Unless someone is explicitly being excluded from contributing to the group by speaking the language then there is no issue.
Obviously people will not be discussing work in a language one of their team can’t understand if it’s team working. But saying all language apart from English should be banned is ridiculous.
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
That is your opinion.
I have already stated mine.
Unless someone is explicitly being excluded from contributing to the group by speaking the language then there is no issue.
Obviously people will not be discussing work in a language one of their team can’t understand if it’s team working. But saying all language apart from English should be banned is ridiculous.
Ok thank you for your opinion
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It seems a bit draconian to ban foreign languages.

It already is an etiquette, both in the workplace and elsewhere, that in a group of people you should speak a language that everyone understands. However if you're just having a one-on-one conversation where nobody else is involved, then you can speak in whatever language you want. Most people I've interacted with tend do abide by that, so it's never really been a problem for me.

It should be enough for people to know that it's rude to exclude someone from the conversation
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
It seems a bit draconian to ban foreign languages.

It already is an etiquette, both in the workplace and elsewhere, that in a group of people you should speak a language that everyone understands. However if you're just having a one-on-one conversation where nobody else is involved, then you can speak in whatever language you want. Most people I've interacted with tend do abide by that, so it's never really been a problem for me.

It should be enough for people to know that it's rude to exclude someone from the conversation
If both individuals came from same country and speaking to one another while no one is around the office, then that is accepted. However, these individual tend to rise their voices deliberately so that others who don’t speak the same language can hear them. For Those who exclude others from the conversation by speaking different language, I’m just repulsed by their level of immaturity.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If both individuals came from same country and speaking to one another while no one is around the office, then that is accepted. However, these individual tend to rise their voices deliberately so that others who don’t speak the same language can hear them. For Those who exclude others from the conversation by speaking different language, I’m just repulsed by their level of immaturity.
If you are talking about specific people at your work place then that is a very different matter to declaring all people who speak a different language in the workplace behave like this...
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
If you are talking about specific people at your work place then that is a very different matter to declaring all people who speak a different language in the workplace behave like this...
Oh, Gee! How should I say this. Most places I have worked they have this thing in common ‘when they’re speaking different language, they tend to rise their voice deliberately so others who don’t speak same language or came from the same country can hear them’ Pretty sure lot of people can relate.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This might sound more of a fuss but, do you find it nuisance when working with people, there is always these two people who will start speaking different language even though you’re working with them as a team. I think just like the school in the workplace other languages should be banned and a person should only speak English. Because other colleagues sometimes might be offended or might think you’re saying something negative about them that they don’t want to know.
For this reason I was taught as a child that one should not speak in language people present don't understand, unless you don't know a language they understand.
But I'm not British, so I guess it's not relevant.
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
For this reason I was taught as a child that one should not speak in language people present don't understand, unless you don't know a language they understand.
But I'm not British, so I guess it's not relevant.
You been raised well mate but, not all people are aware of this.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Oh, Gee! How should I say this. Most places I have worked they have this thing in common ‘when they’re speaking different language, they tend to rise their voice deliberately so others who don’t speak same language or came from the same country can hear them’ Pretty sure lot of people can relate.
Well I have never once experienced this and I don’t know anyone who would agree with your assertion that people raise their voices deliberately so that those who can’t understand them can hear them....
so gee...maybe it’s just a you thing and you aren’t comfortable with people speaking other languages.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 5 days ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Wouldn't say there was anything wrong with it if its a quiet conversation between two or even 3 individuals.

Anything about work or anything larger/in a communal area, its just rude for it to not be in a language that everyone can understand. Hopefully you wouldn't have to outright ban it, but if its a consistent problem then I could empathise.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This might sound more of a fuss but, do you find it nuisance when working with people, there is always these two people who will start speaking different language even though you’re working with them as a team. I think just like the school in the workplace other languages should be banned and a person should only speak English. Because other colleagues sometimes might be offended or might think you’re saying something negative about them that they don’t want to know. But when you walk out the office, you can speak any language that you want, I mean it’s a free country. And for **** sake don’t speak another language when a friend is around you who don’t came from where you came from.

Conclusively, since this is becoming more of a rampant these days, I believe other languages should be banned from the workplaces and should be an offence except for some circumstance like helping clients to speak to them so that you understand them and help them. Any one breaches these rule should get immediate dismissal. This issue has been rising but it’s perpetual.
Why don't you have a go at being nice to them, then they won't feel the need to talk behind your back in another language.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You’re right, it’s very rude and immature of them to do that.

The thing is, I don’t think that rudeness and immaturity should be banned. They should remain “social norms” rather than “enforceable rules”. People should be able to choose to follow them or not.

That way it’s easier to identify who is actually a decent person worth your time, and who isn’t.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

The thing is, I don’t think that rudeness and immaturity should be banned. They should remain “social norms” rather than “enforceable rules”. People should be able to choose to follow them or not.

That way it’s easier to identify who is actually a decent person worth your time, and who isn’t.
This is not exactly the case.

In the times past people who couln't behave properly, would face ostracism, glass roof and so on. Today, little happens. Imho, the lack of 'culture' should be treated similarly to mobbing. Maybe not a criminal offence, but a reprimend and a note in company's papers that could halt one's promotion. If we don't stop the rabble, the rabble will take over and this will be everybody's problem.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Who cares? If they want to have a gossip in their mother tongue let them. If, however, they start trying to speak to the team in said language that could cause some problems.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

The thing is, I don’t think that rudeness and immaturity should be banned...
In a workplace? Where they're being paid tens of thousands of pounds to be there? Really?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads