Help me choose 3 universities and rank them in terms of reputation/prestige

Watch
Modern Polymath
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am planning to study one semester in a university in the UK. I can choose and apply for 3 Universities from a selection. The Universities I can choose from are: Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Exeter and Aberdeen.

So the process is: I select my 3 favorites in preferred order and then the "jury" of the programme allocates me one of those 3 Universities, which they find fitting for me individually.

So what I want to find out is which 3 of these universities are most known around the world and most reputable to the population.

From doing some research, I found out that Edinburgh is always #1 and then the other two places go to either Manchester or York.

My study subject is English linguistics, language and literature.

Could you guys provide me with some kind of 1. 2. 3. place ranking which of these univsities I should preferable apply for to study one semester? Edinburgh seems to be #1 but I am still not sure which universities would rank #2 and #3 in terms of reputation and prestige.

Thanks in advance!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Modern Polymath)
I am planning to study one semester in a university in the UK. I can choose and apply for 3 Universities from a selection. The Universities I can choose from are: Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Exeter and Aberdeen.

So the process is: I select my 3 favorites in preferred order and then the "jury" of the programme allocates me one of those 3 Universities, which they find fitting for me individually.

So what I want to find out is which 3 of these universities are most known around the world and most reputable to the population.

From doing some research, I found out that Edinburgh is always #1 and then the other two places go to either Manchester or York.

Could you guys provide me with some kind of 1. 2. 3. place ranking which of these univsities I should preferable apply for to study one semester? Edinburgh seems to be #1 but I am still not sure which universities would rank #2 and #3 in terms of reputation and prestige.

Thanks in advance!
I think you have it a bit wrong and am sceptical about whether you should be going for so called prestige. I would be focusing on other factors such as feedback from other students, location, city, uni, course cost, where I might have a good time and travel.

If its just one semester I would pick Edinburgh because it would be like an extended holiday.

So 2 I would probably choose Manch or York. Big difference in size. Manch large vibrant city and an airport.
York touristy, historic, small and expensive, but historic and although small, enough for 1 semester only.
Birmingham, Nottingham a large and a medium sized city- so plenty going on and Nottingham would be on par with the previous 2 with Birm not that far behind. Both central.,

Royal Holloway [ Near London],

Exeter [ quieter and Historic] and

Aberdeen[ Access to Highlands]

Maybe do some more research on the cities and English departments.

Strat with a map and id where you are.
Modern Polymath
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I think you have it a bit wrong and am sceptical about whether you should be going for so called prestige. I would be focusing on other factors such as feedback from other students, location, city, uni, course cost, where I might have a good time and travel.

If its just one semester I would pick Edinburgh because it would be like an extended holiday.

So 2 I would probably choose Manch or York. Big difference in size. Manch large vibrant city and an airport.
York touristy, historic, small and expensive, but historic and although small, enough for 1 semester only.
Birmingham, Nottingham a large and a medium sized city- so plenty going on and Nottingham would be on par with the previous 2 with Birm not that far behind. Both central.,

Royal Holloway [ Near London],

Exeter [ quieter and Historic] and

Aberdeen[ Access to Highlands]

Maybe do some more research on the cities and English departments.

Strat with a map and id where you are.
Thanks for the answer! My goal is just to hone my verbal English skills and immerse myself in the language and culture a bit.

Second important factor is that it should look good in my CV.

What do you mean by "start with a map and id where you are"?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks in advance!
It's the course content that's important, not the prestige.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the answer! My goal is just to hone my verbal English skills and immerse myself in the language and culture a bit.

I would NOT pick Edinburgh - it has a reputation for not being welcoming and is not well-known for that degree. Aberdeen is grim and grey.

The ones I would look at would be:

Exeter: lovely city - good rep for that degree

York: lovely city but up in the north of England - it is a bit touristy

Royal Holloway - not the same level as the others

Birmingham - avoid at the moment as likely to be on lockdown

Nottingham - OK but some dodgy areas
999tigger
Report 1 year ago

I mean id where the places are. York is apparently in the north away from all known life.
You seem obsessed with reputation and for 1 term an employer isnt going to care. I would be more interested in where I was going to be happiest.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I would NOT pick Edinburgh - it has a reputation for not being welcoming and is not well-known for that degree. Aberdeen is grim and grey.

The ones I would look at would be:

Exeter: lovely city - good rep for that degree

York: lovely city but up in the north of England - it is a bit touristy

Royal Holloway - not the same level as the others

Birmingham - avoid at the moment as likely to be on lockdown

Nottingham - OK but some dodgy areas
The first thing to say is that everyone will have different thoughts. What suits one of us might not another. Ask yourself what do you want. Birmingham is a huge city and Nottingham and Edinburgh are also quite big. Exeter is much smaller. York is a bigger city. Royal Holloway is in the outskirts of London but is quite rural. Probably for your subject I would look at Exeter and then York followed by Royal Holloway. However if you want a bigger city go for Birmingham.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The first thing to say is that everyone will have different thoughts. What suits one of us might not another. Ask yourself what do you want. Birmingham is a huge city and Nottingham and Edinburgh are also quite big. Exeter is much smaller. York is a bigger city. Royal Holloway is in the outskirts of London but is quite rural. Probably for your subject I would look at Exeter and then York followed by Royal Holloway. However if you want a bigger city go for Birmingham.
Did you mean to reply to me?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Did you mean to reply to me?
No sorry
Modern Polymath
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Thanks!
Well, I would prefer something like a modern busy city.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Then given what you want look at Birmingham, Nottingham and Edinburgh.
ghjajkfa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely want to be picking Manchester if you are wanting a big modern city. It has everything and really good travel connections to travel anywhere within the UK and Europe. Birmingham is a big modern city BUT it is Birmingham and not the place anyone wants to go to hone their English verbal skills.
Modern Polymath
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghjajkfa)
Definitely want to be picking Manchester if you are wanting a big modern city. It has everything and really good travel connections to travel anywhere within the UK and Europe. Birmingham is a big modern city BUT it is Birmingham and not the place anyone wants to go to hone their English verbal skills.
Thanks!!
And what if I don't get nominated for Edinburgh or Manchester? What third option should I consider taking? York, Nottingham, Royal Holloway London?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks!!
And what if I don't get nominated for Edinburgh or Manchester? What third option should I consider taking? York, Nottingham, Royal Holloway London?
Birmingham will be fine then probably Nottingham. Royal Holloway is quite rural and a train ride into London. Doesnt look like it would be for you. York is a smaller city but apparently very picturesque and small.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads