The Student Room Group

Is it true that I need to eat at least more than 3 meals a day to bulk properly?

Hello All, I’m 20M and I was 55–56kg back in February and now I’m 63.7kg. I have been doing exercises over quarantine, mainly things like push-ups, crunches, planks etc. And I’ve been eating more food in general but not as much as 4 or 5 meals per day. Recently, I’ve been doing weights like biceps, squats and bench press etc. and I’m not exactly sure how much this has contributed to my weight but I assume it had a little bit of impact. I do have to note that during the months of June and July, I lost motivation to exercise (except running roughly 2km in 3 reps on average per week) and I did notice weight gain. So I can’t talk about my weight without talking about what I usually eat in a day:

2x white bread toast
1x glass of milk
4x fried eggs
More recently, 1 bottle of whey protein with water.

Some days I eat a bag of basmati rice with mashed potatoes and at least 3 chicken marinade (usually like a drumstick) and in other days I just eat pasta with tomato sauce and if I’m hungry after the pasta I just eat 2x more toast and milk and 2x fried eggs or I just one broccoli. I am planning on expanding more variety, such as me eating 2x salmon fillets the other day.

I checked lifesum and the calories are always roughly 3,000 but maybe I need to reach 3,500!

Any advice would be appreciated! Just wondering if I need to eat more meals a day or is whatever I’m eating atm is fine! Many thanks! :smile:
What's your maintenance?
Reply 2
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
What's your maintenance?

How do you mean? Sorry I’m relatively new to these terms 😅
Reply 3
You don't need to. Work out your maintenance calories and add 200 - 400 calories to that figure (doesn't matter how much meals it's in).
No not really, follow what the other users are saying.
Original post by CAB18022
How do you mean? Sorry I’m relatively new to these terms 😅

It's the amount of calories needed to maintain your current weight, you should add 500 calories to that amount and you'll gain a pound a week.

You could add anywhere between 500 - 1000 depending on your goals.
Reply 6
Original post by gtty123
You don't need to. Work out your maintenance calories and add 200 - 400 calories to that figure (doesn't matter how much meals it's in).

Alright then, awesome!! 👍
Reply 7
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
It's the amount of calories needed to maintain your current weight, you should add 500 calories to that amount and you'll gain a pound a week.

You could add anywhere between 500 - 1000 depending on your goals.

Wow 😮 okay that makes sense 👍 my main goal really is to add weight/more muscles but it’s just I heard diet is like the main thing
Original post by CAB18022
Wow 😮 okay that makes sense 👍 my main goal really is to add weight/more muscles but it’s just I heard diet is like the main thing

Yes calories come from your diet.

Quick Reply

Latest