Note taking in lectures

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I will be doing physics this year, wondrring what note taking devices do people use. Do you require a tablet in lectures to take notes as I am going to buy a laptop and thinking of getting a 2 in1 laptop. What do you use/see people use in physics lectures?
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Not sure about physics but most people in my lectures use pen and paper, quite a few use laptops too
We were told writing notes with pen and paper just makes the information go in more, I'm sure it varies from person to person though! Personally I use my laptop because I'm too slow of a writer to keep up with the slides, then I write the notes on paper later
Phideaux
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Most lecturers publish copies of their lecture notes.
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I will be doing physics this year, wondrring what note taking devices do people use. Do you require a tablet in lectures to take notes as I am going to buy a laptop and thinking of getting a 2 in1 laptop. What do you use/see people use in physics lectures?
Can't comment on Physics but I hand wrote notes, placing emphasis on getting down the details not mentioned in the slides. It's easy to go back and look over the PowerPoint again, it's far more difficult to remember arbitrary statements that were spoken by the lecturer. After a lecture I'd write more thorough notes, combining the information from the PowerPoint, the notes I'd made and additional research where required.

Despite being on a very technology oriented degree, I never used any digital medium for note taking. A number of students produced typed notes, although research suggests this is not as effective as hand written notes. Some people would hand write on a tablet, or type on their phone but this wasn't common. What was common though was people with digital devices getting distracted by them and paying less attention. It's also a lot more difficult to ignore accumulating paper, vs digital notes that you can save in a folder and never look at again.

With regards to 2 in 1 laptops, finding ones that are suitable for handwritten notes can be a little finicky. Many laptops can feel quite cumbersome in tablet mode, due to the increased size, weight and general bulk of a laptop. You also need to make sure you get a pen, which may be included or may be an extra purchase. 2 in 1 devices tend to be more expensive, so it's worth finding out if you'll benefit from one before pulling the trigger.

Of course what other people do shouldn't really impact you. It's up to you to find a system that works for you, be it physical or digital, handwritten or typed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads