The Student Room Group

Holiday uncertainty

Hi

So I want to go on abroad on holiday for a 2 months from October to Early December this year. My sister is going to her first year and I’m starting my second year. Due to everything being online now besides practicals. And practicals was my worry because they are vital and very important. My university said they you don’t have to attend if you have concerns which I really do. They said they would somehow record the practical for us. Would they kick me out of my course if they find? Practicals have register list too but I’m not about this year. I really need some advice about what I should do.
So you have concerns about attending practicals, but not about a two-month period abroad during a pandemic...?
Reply 2
Original post by gutenberg
So you have concerns about attending practicals, but not about a two-month period abroad during a pandemic...?

I have concerns about missing practicals while abroad... 😑
Original post by Anonymous
I have concerns about missing practicals while abroad... 😑

Your initial post isn't entirely clear. Is the plan that practicals will be in person? Will they also be recorded - which I presume is what you meant when you said that the university have said that they will try to record them, for those who don't want to attend because they have worries about being on-campus? My reading is that you're planning to tell your university that you have worries about attending practicals in-person, and so use the recordings of them rather than come onto campus - is that correct? And you're worried they will find out that you're actually on holiday, but claiming that you're worried about attending in-person as the reason not to come in? Just so I understand in order to advise.
Reply 4
My reading is that you're planning to tell your university that you have worries about attending practicals in-person, and so use the recordings of them rather than come onto campus - is that correct? And you're worried they will find out that you're actually on holiday.

Yes that’s correct
Original post by Anonymous
Yes that’s correct

Well I guess I'd have two things to think about.

One is that if practicals are so important for your course, whether you'd be at a disadvantage by only watching the recordings. While we all have worries about returning to campus, universities have been working hard to make sure truly vital in-person teaching like practicals can still happen safely. So I would, on balance, think it better that you try to attend them if you can. I could understand someone with a serious health concern really not wanting to attend, but ducking out because of a holiday seems silly and could see you at a disadvantage later.

The second thing is whether it would even be a 'holiday' if you had to keep up with uni work while away? I can't imagine it would be entirely relaxing. I doubt the university would kick you out if they 'found out': students will be 'attending' from all over the place this year, especially international students who can't travel, so it wouldn't look too out of the ordinary. I guess they would look rather dimly on it if you're usually UK-based but are suddenly somewhere exotic, and might be less sympathetic if you run into difficulties while away, such as a lockdown wherever you are.
Original post by gutenberg
I guess they would look rather dimly on it if you're usually UK-based but are suddenly somewhere exotic, and might be less sympathetic if you run into difficulties while away, such as a lockdown wherever you are.

This.

OP, it's pretty shady to use the pandemic and 'concerns about in-person practicals' as an excuse to go on holiday. The university is likely to have no sympathy if you get stuck somewhere if a local/country-wide lockdown happens.

Quick Reply

Latest