M.Johnson2111
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

If g (x) > 28 find all values for x when g (x) = 4x - 7

I've found x > 35/4

The question is worth four marks so feel as though I need to do more or have misread the question?
purplekitten42
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What you did seems right but I agree that it seems easy for four marks. Is that the exact wording of the question?
M.Johnson2111
Rep:
?
Name:  Capture 111.PNG
Views: 5
Size:  45.1 KB
M.Johnson2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by purplekitten42)
What you did seems right but I agree that it seems easy for four marks. Is that the exact wording of the question?
Hi thanks for the reply. I've uploaded a copy of the full question. I'm also struggling with part d?
Do i need to find the inverse function of h (x) , make this equal -1/2 to solve
Or let -1/2 be x and sub into h (x) to solve?
purplekitten42
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by M.Johnson2111)
Hi thanks for the reply. I've uploaded a copy of the full question. I'm also struggling with part d?
In part b there will also be values of x that satisfy the equation for the g (x) = (x - 2)^2 + 1 which is why the question is four marks.

For part d, you have the right idea to find the inverse function of h (x) and make it equal to -1/2.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you sketch g(x), you would notice that the quadratic branch takes the function beyond $28$ just like the right linear branch. Hence, you need to also solve

(x-2)^2 +1 > 28 for x\leq 2.

For part d, sure you can find inverse h^{-1} and then find x ... but a nice little cheat is to realise that if

h^{-1}(x) = -1/2,

then

x = h(-1/2)

since you can just apply h to both sides.
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 months ago
M.Johnson2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
If you sketch g(x), you would notice that the quadratic branch takes the function beyond $28$ just like the right linear branch. Hence, you need to also solve

(x-2)^2 +1 > 28 for x\leq 2.

For part d, sure you can find inverse h^{-1} and then find x ... but a nice little cheat is to realise that if

h^{-1}(x) = -1/2,

then

x = h(-1/2)

since you can just apply h to both sides.
Thank you
For part d I found x = 29/4 but since the first part is squared could another x value be x = -29/4?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you
For part d I found x = 29/4 but since the first part is squared could another x value be x = -29/4?
No.

Inverses exist when they are one-to-one, and if what you are saying would be true, it would mean that the inverse function is a many-to-one mapping... this is not possible.

Also, in the first part it is indeed squared, but the domain of this square is restricted to x \leq 2 which makes it a one-to-one function. No way are you going to get two different values!

And one more thing ... the domain of the inverse function is the range of the original function ... but the range of the original function is \geq 1, so how can you have -29/4 as an input into the inverse function?
M.Johnson2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
No.

Inverses exist when they are one-to-one, and if what you are saying would be true, it would mean that the inverse function is a many-to-one mapping... this is not possible.

Also, in the first part it is indeed squared, but the domain of this square is restricted to x \leq 2 which makes it a one-to-one function. No way are you going to get two different values!

And one more thing ... the domain of the inverse function is the range of the original function ... but the range of the original function is \geq 1, so how can you have -29/4 as an input into the inverse function?
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise