gogglebot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
edit: I've posted this in the wrong forum, mods delete please

Hello,
I nominally live in England but have gotten a place at a university in Wales for a PGCE course.

I have already completed an undergraduate course in England (SfE funded, 2:1) in Physics and have just finished a full year MSc course at Cardiff uni, (SfE funded, exact result pending but I know I've passed, probably Merit).

I've now gotten a place at Aberystwyth Uni for PGCE Secondary Physics and now cannot figure out what to do about funding?

I've read I should be eligible for *either* £26,000 from SfE or £20,000 from SfW? Lots on info on the amount(s) I should be entitled to, absolutely none on where to go get it.

I've tried logging into student Finance England and clicking through Re-apply -> Higher Education -> Undergraduate (which lists PGCE). After that I cannot click "full time" as it's greyed out, quoting "You already have existing applications for all available academic years."

I went to sign in to the SfW website and it just sent me back to the SfE website after using my existing details.

What do I do? I can't do this course without financial support
Last edited by gogglebot; 2 weeks ago
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bit confusing but you get a loan through SFE because you've not lived in Wales for three years for non-educational purposes before the course starts but the bursary will be through your uni so you get the Welsh bursary. (At least, this is how it worked for me a couple of years ago!)

If SFE isn't working to apply for the loan, it might be because you're still technically completing your Masters - I would get in touch with them.

FYI - the Welsh education system is changing quite a lot and you'll do lots of work about Curriculum for Wales. If you don't plan on teaching in Wales afterwards, it might be worth seeing if you can get onto a course in England!
gogglebot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks! So I should get on to the Uni about the bursary, especially as it's a high demand subject. I'm hoping it being high demand means UK schools won't mind the differences too much 👀I've been assuming all this time that the bursary was instead of loan, which honestly is preferable because no more debt please is this correct?
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You usually need to pay your tuition fees upfront for each term which you won't be able to do with the bursary as it's paid every month!

Some people on the course just took the tuition fee loan and the bursary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (63)
21.58%
No (229)
78.42%

Watched Threads