This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M634 – Approach to Coronavirus Cases Motion 2020, Miss Maddie MP

Approach to Coronavirus Cases Motion 2020

Sweden has 9.2 cases per 100,000 people. Spain, for example, home to Europe’s strictest lockdown,127.7 per 100,000 as of yesterday. In France, which gave Spain a run for its money on strictness of its lockdown, has 64.5. The UK has 27 cases per 100,000 (all [1] and [2]). If deaths adjusted for population is considered, Sweden is not in the top three for the worst in Europe. In every country that implemented a lockdown, cases are quickly rising once it has ended. In some of these countries, restrictions are being reimposed as coronaphobic politicians become scared of rising cases.

The lockdown approach does not work for three reasons:

(1) Lockdown fatigue. People become bored and ignore the rules.
(2) It's unproven. Hiding indoors is an experiment that isn't being shown to work. The jury is still out. As soon as you let people back out, the highly infectious disease returns.
(3) The cost isn't proportional to the lives saved. The lives saved (some estimate as few as 6500) [3] is nowhere near the £320bn cost of lockdown [4]. It has cost £77m an hour up to now.

This House calls on the government to change its strategy for managing a second wave by;

(1) Making it clear that pubs, restaurants, cafes and non-essential shops etc... will not be forced to close under any circumstances if cases rise.
(2) Making all restrictions on meeting friends and family advisory, relying on the British people to use their common sense when deciding if they should be in contact with someone.
(3) Making extra efforts to shield all care home residents and the extremely vulnerable when cases do start rising.
(4) Making it known that curfews will not be used and local lockdowns involving the closing of pubs and restaurants, and placing restrictions on meeting people will not happen.

The lockdown has not worked. It cost far too much, a vaccine is nowhere near ready and cases are still rising such that a second wave is a very real possibility. The government needs to accept it adopted the wrong approach and start putting the country in a position to live with COVID-19 and not lock itself up inside whilst waiting for God to banish all coronaviruses.

In the time taken to read this, COVID-19 has cost the UK another £2.2 MILLION.

Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye! It's not a detailed motion because I feel confident predicting the result. However, a lockdown hasn't worked and a second one won't work. A different approach is needed and the motion is worth a try.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye. We will never eliminate Covid from the UK so we may as well learn to live with it.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If find it odd that a member of parliament criticises the government for producing multiple items on one issue (China) yet also produces multiple items arguing the same thing on the same issue (covid-19). :beard: It's almost as though some members hold themselves to different standards than other people. :hmmmm:

As for the motion itself, I welcome members across the house to use this debate to post their thoughts about effective and ineffective measures to tackle the virus. I am unwilling to support a motion that dictates a future governmental policy. Actions demanded should either be in the present or not at all.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am thoroughly sick of these items and will abstain because I simply no longer care.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, i shall likely oppose this in division.

Although i do share the belief that further restrictions should be minimal (i actually think we should focus more on the enforcement of existing restrictions) the passage of this motion would restrict the flexibility of government policy and potentially leave us in conflict with canon quite widely dependent on the RL situation (we've taken the view so far that Covid changes from canon should be specific and this is quite broad). I shall however await the opinion of the Health Secretary and likely take my lead from him on this issue.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
If find it odd that a member of parliament criticises the government for producing multiple items on one issue (China) yet also produces multiple items arguing the same thing on the same issue (covid-19). :beard: It's almost as though some members hold themselves to different standards than other people. :hmmmm:

As for the motion itself, I welcome members across the house to use this debate to post their thoughts about effective and ineffective measures to tackle the virus. I am unwilling to support a motion that dictates a future governmental policy. Actions demanded should either be in the present or not at all.
Of course I hold myself to different standard. I'm not supposed to be managing a country with its intricacies. That is for the government (obviously) and the government in waiting (Labour). The other parties and MPs act as pressure groups fighting for their own agenda. If the government wants to become a Chinese-obsessed pressure group fighting for their Sinocentric agenda they should resign.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
I'm not supposed to be managing a country with its intricacies.
We can tell that based on the motion.
Tinders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye! Lockdowns are not yet proven to work. If we all take personal responsibility and isolate if we have symptoms, we should keep bars, restaurants, pubs etc open and we can learn to live with COVID-19. Just like we learned to live with the flu.
Last edited by Tinders; 1 month ago
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)

Actually, isn't this the same motion submitted some weeks ago?#

I feel like I've read it all already, apart from the £2.2 million line.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Of course I hold myself to different standard. I'm not supposed to be managing a country with its intricacies. That is for the government (obviously) and the government in waiting (Labour). The other parties and MPs act as pressure groups fighting for their own agenda. If the government wants to become a Chinese-obsessed pressure group fighting for their Sinocentric agenda they should resign.
*waiting for you to call for President Trump to resign*
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Testing, testing, testing is what is required and seems to be what, post-lockdowns, is causing a lot of the difference between countries. It's disappointing then that this motion doesn't mention this at all.
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universal masking is the most important and effective way to combat covid-19, and should be mandatory indoors and strictly enforced. Lockdowns should no longer be necessary and restaurants and workplaces must be kept open. Unless there are provisions on the mandatory use of face masks indoors, I will not support this motion.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:bebored:
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
:bebored:
I know it should say smiley but I cba to change it
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)
I know it should say smiley but I cba to change it
Your meme makes no sense in this context.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(1) Making it clear that pubs, restaurants, cafes and non-essential shops etc... will not be forced to close under any circumstances if cases rise.
No.

(2) Making all restrictions on meeting friends and family advisory, relying on the British people to use their common sense when deciding if they should be in contact with someone.
People do not have common sense, so no.

(3) Making extra efforts to shield all care home residents and the extremely vulnerable when cases do start rising.
Happy to back this one.

(4) Making it known that curfews will not be used and local lockdowns involving the closing of pubs and restaurants, and placing restrictions on meeting people will not happen.

I agree that curfews are silly, but local restrictions are now the best way to combat increasing cases, so no to that one.

Question: how long is 'the time taken to read this'? I am conscious that my reading speed is above average, so the actual time in mind will be longer than the time it actually took me to read this motion. There's also no source attached to that figure.
AditOTAKU666
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I oppose this motion. We don't need to make things even worse. We should wait atleast until November, then gradually reopen the country.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AditOTAKU666)
I oppose this motion. We don't need to make things even worse. We should wait atleast until November, then gradually reopen the country.
So we should keep doing pointless things because not doing those pointless things makes things worse, even though they don't?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AditOTAKU666)
I forgot COVID-19 packs its bags and we can wish it bon voyage in November. Silly me for thinking it was a virus that doesn't have an expiry date.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed