Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
B1612 – School Uniform Governance Act 2020, Miss Maddie MP

School Uniform Governance Act 2020

A
BILL
TO

To provide guidance to schools in England relating to the cost of school uniforms

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Guidance
In the Education Act 1996, after section 551 insert—

551A Guidance about the costs of school uniforms: England
(1) The Secretary of State must issue guidance to the authorities of schools in England about the cost implication on parents and guardians of school uniform policies.
(a) the guidance will follow the principles set out in Schedule 41.
(2) In this section “costs implication of uniform policies” means any part of school uniform policies that the Secretary of State considers having an impact on the overall cost of purchasing a maintaining a school uniform for a child.
(3) The appropriate authority of a school must have regard to guidance issued when developing a school uniform policy.
(4) The minister may revise the guidance issued under this section.
(5) In this section "school” means—
(a) an Academy school;
(b) an alternative provision Academy;
(c) a maintained school as per section 437(8);
(d) a non-maintained special school as per section 337A;
(e) a pupil referral unit not established in a hospital.
(6) In this Act “appropriate authority” means—
(a) in relation to an Academy school, an alternative provision Academy;
(b) in relation to a non-maintained special school, the proprietor;
(b) in relation to a maintained school, the governing body;
(c) in relation to a pupil referral unit, the local authority.

2 Schedule
Add to the Education Act 1996, Schedule 41—

Schedule 41
Schedule 41 - Cost of Uniform Guidance

1 Use of school branding
Schools may not specify for school logos to be worn on their uniform.

2 Uniform and Kit Combinations
(1) Schools may not have more than two uniform combinations over;
(a) a summer uniform
(b) a winter uniform
(2) Schools may not have more than one PE kit combination.

3 Purchasing of Uniform
(1) Schools may not specify a single supplier the uniform must be purchased from
(a) nothing may be included as part of a uniform that the relevant authority deems niche enough that only one supplier is reasonably expected to sell it.

3 Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom
(2) This Act comes into force immediately
(3) This Act may be cited as the School Uniform Act 2020

Spoiler:
Show

Notes
School uniforms are becoming expensive and it is estimated the cost of one school uniform can reach nearly £350 to buy [1]. Schools often specify their logo is worn on all pieces and parents use a certain supplier the school signed a deal with. This bill aims to help parents by imposing the need to think about the cost of any uniform policy.

The second effect of the bill is to lower the cost of uniforms. Uniform can be bought more cheaply in a supermarket [1]. By removing the need for a school logo, parents are now able to buy the cheaper uniform equivalents in a supermarket.

References

[1] https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49090913

Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Aye! An important issue that we don't talk about much.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Only having 1 PE kit is foolish, you can't really play rugby and cricket in the same clothes.

Further, those aren't principles but directions.

Lastly, I don't belive any act commands the SoS to make orders, only gives them the power to.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think this is a very good idea, save for two clauses in Schedule 41

Schools should have one uniform. There should be no requirement that students own separate uniforms for summer and winter (this should not prevent schools from allowing students to wear a different uniform in summer/winter, schools just shouldn't be able to make it a requirement).

I think having multiple (possible) PE kit combinations isn't unreasonable. Same conditions as above.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Aph)
Only having 1 PE kit is foolish, you can't really play rugby and cricket in the same clothes.

Further, those aren't principles but directions.

Lastly, I don't belive any act commands the SoS to make orders, only gives them the power to.
There are certainly some acts that require ministers to do things. This welsh one, for example.
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Aye, aye and many more ayes. Many schools have monopolies with uniform suppliers who can therefore charge unreasonable prices for school uniform should they want to. Not allowing said monopolies should mean better deals for parents and branded items aren't the best anyway - there are ways of getting round this where "school identity/pride" is concerned.

For the record, I don't know of a school that has more than one PE kit. Why you'd need more than one I don't understand.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
Aye, aye and many more ayes. Many schools have monopolies with uniform suppliers who can therefore charge unreasonable prices for school uniform should they want to. Not allowing said monopolies should mean better deals for parents and branded items aren't the best anyway - there are ways of getting round this where "school identity/pride" is concerned.

For the record, I don't know of a school that has more than one PE kit. Why you'd need more than one I don't understand.
My school had two, one for the winter when we mostly did rugby and other sports the required more padding and one for the summer which was cricket and gymnastics for boys.

I think they did the same for girls but couldn't tell you why.
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Aph)
My school had two, one for the winter when we mostly did rugby and other sports the required more padding and one for the summer which was cricket and gymnastics for boys.

I think they did the same for girls but couldn't tell you why.
Ah, well I stand corrected. That's fair enough, but it is a lot to buy.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Aye. I have one complaint - this should have been submitted as the School Uniform Governance Bill 2020.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Mr Speaker, i intend to oppose this in division.

As somebody that believes in free schools (i.e. schools being able to do what they like within reasonable confines) i do not believe it is the place of central government to dictate uniform policy to schools. Whether we like it or not, brands have value and schools are (or rather should be if the system is working properly) competing with each other for the best students and most motivated parents to select that school (hence league tables), logos are a part of brand identity and for all the complaints of high costs people have managed to cope since the inception of the standard school uniform.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Aph)
Err, yes you can. It's called "keep active or get cold".
Not a fun mantra but it's very doable. Just wear some thermals underneath in the winter if it's too bad.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, i intend to oppose this in division.

As somebody that believes in free schools (i.e. schools being able to do what they like within reasonable confines) i do not believe it is the place of central government to dictate uniform policy to schools. Whether we like it or not, brands have value and schools are (or rather should be if the system is working properly) competing with each other for the best students and most motivated parents to select that school (hence league tables), logos are a part of brand identity and for all the complaints of high costs people have managed to cope since the inception of the standard school uniform.
Three of four national governments already subsidise uniform costs for some pupils and there are calls for England to do the same. Some LEAs already hand out grants to help with uniforms. Making uniforms cheaper frees up money to be spent on things that actually helps children learn. From a purely public spending stance a Tory should support this.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Err, yes you can. It's called "keep active or get cold".
Not a fun mantra but it's very doable. Just wear some thermals underneath in the winter if it's too bad.
You remind me of Mr * (name censored to protect the guilty) and his refusal to allow us to wear gloves or jogging bottoms in the winter.

Playing rugby at below freezing is not fun.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)
You remind me of Mr * (name censored to protect the guilty) and his refusal to allow us to wear gloves or jogging bottoms in the winter.

Playing rugby at below freezing is not fun.
Sounds like my PE teachers. They used to sit in the minibus eating Pringles as they forced us to do cross country in the rain.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Sounds like my PE teachers. They used to sit in the minibus eating Pringles as they forced us to do cross country in the rain.
Luckily my teacher's sensible enough to make us play inside if the rain actually starts coming down.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I guess. I'll wait and see if others would propose something better.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Fully support the principle, albeit I'm not convinced that logos should be banned outright – but the option of sew-on badges rather than embroidered clothing should be encouraged/mandated.

Also I'm inclined to agree that there needs to be more flexibility on PE, at least to alternate between rugby shirts and polo shirts or similar (contact rugby in polo shirts sounds like a lot of ripped clothes to me). Likewise with trainers and football/rugby boots. You'd struggle to play either of those sports in trainers on a wet pitch, and the result would be a lot of muddy trainers that may or may not get cleaned before the next PE lesson taught indoors. Dare I mention swimming as well, though presumably schools don't (or shouldn't) be mandating a uniform kit for that?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This all seems quite proper and i see not reason not to support it at present, the cartel of certain uniform suppliers being quite egregious.

As an aside, was this influenced by the Spectator article from a couple of weeks ago on the matter?
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think schools should be allowed to require school logos on uniforms as long as the logos can be sewn on.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Having two pe kits is not unreasonable. In the warmer months your normally required to wear shorts then in the colder months you wear jogging bottoms. School logos shouldn't be banned instead they should be sold as sew on badges.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.64%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.61%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (108)
35.06%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (31)
10.06%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (66)
21.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.19%

Watched Threads