i want to fix my eyesight

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
this is probably a conversation i should have with my eye doctor, but essentially i’ve had glasses since i was young, at this point i was long sighted, and the. around aged 13 it switched to short sighted (weird ik) and i’ve still been wearing glasses since. i don’t wear them everyday, only when i need to see something far away and can’t. my right eye is significantly worse, like, i can’t see writing more than a few cm away with just that eye, but my left eye does counteract that, so i can maybe see writing about 1 or 2 metres away without glasses, but sometimes not so well.

i feel like cos i can still see i don’t need glasses all day everyday, and i don’t want contacts, so i was wondering if anyone knows what other options there are so i can see better without glasses or contacts? thanks!

obviously if my best bet is to just keep wearing glasses then i will, but i just don’t like wearing them lol
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you’re over 18, you can get laser eye surgery
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
If you’re over 18, you can get laser eye surgery
but there are risks associated with the surgery. Things can go wrong
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
but there are risks associated with the surgery. Things can go wrong
True, but OP asked for how they can stop wearing glasses :dontknow:
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Laser eye surgery is definitely something to discuss with your optometrist, but it might not be possible to fix the problem if you’ve worn glasses your whole life.
Is there a specific reason why you don’t want to wear contact lenses? They’ve improved so much, and you can get some that are really comfortable. You don’t have to wear them all the time, it can just be on days you feel like it. You can even get ones you wear at night so you can see during the day (orthokeratology), but these are normally used for prescriptions higher than yours.
There is exercises you can do that are supposed to improve your eyesight. I don’t think they really make a substantial difference, but they help your eyes relax which should make it a bit easier to see without glasses. These might be worth a try as your prescription isn’t that bad.
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I improved a whole diopter (even a bit more) working on healthy habits and wearing a slightly reduced prescription. I don't claim it works for everybody and that it is a magical solution that improves your eyesight to 20/20 within months... it took me several years to reduce 1 diopter and now I'm stuck with my lower prescription for years (got slightly worse now because I have to be more on the computer and wear glasses more often to see people's faces, but still, it is possible to improve your vision without glasses.
In cases like your's I'd see first what is the visual acuity difference between the eyes, if it is more than 2 lines I'd work only on your weaker eye first. There are scientifically proven methods that work on lazy eye and low myopia (Neuro-Vision), that might help more than exercises in your case in my opinion.

Switching from longsightedness to shortsightedness in your teens it pretty common.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (35)
21.6%
No (127)
78.4%

Watched Threads