qwert7890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m still sort of writing my personal statement but I feel there’s too much that I want to write!

For intra, extra and supra curricular activities, how would you rank these for medicine (I’m applying to Cambridge, UCL, King’s and maybe Bristol)

1. A MOOC on Cancer Metastasis by Johns Hopkins
2. An EPQ on Malarial Eradication
3. Doing the silver DofE
4. Executive member of a Girl Up (official UN) club at my school
5. Been a Prefect, Vice- President, etc. as part of the student council the last 5 years
6. Read the book “Being Mortal” by Atul Gawande
7. Won a super scholar award (awarded to those who’ve achieved straight As consistently in all subjects) for the past 11 years at my school.
8. Received scholarships the last 2 years for academic performance
9. LOVE debating and won a best delegate award at many MUNs

I’ve ended up doing a lot of stuff since lockdown. All of this is something I want to include but much of it makes me sound cocky! Obviously, space is limited so I don’t want to simply list things but rather reflect on them a little as well.

Which would you prioritise (given my choices of unis as well). Maybe points 7 and 8 could be mentioned in my reference rather than my PS?
Advertisement
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
I’m still sort of writing my personal statement but I feel there’s too much that I want to write!

For intra, extra and supra curricular activities, how would you rank these for medicine (I’m applying to Cambridge, UCL, King’s and maybe Bristol)

1. A MOOC on Cancer Metastasis by Johns Hopkins
2. An EPQ on Malarial Eradication
3. Doing the silver DofE
4. Executive member of a Girl Up (official UN) club at my school
5. Been a Prefect, Vice- President, etc. as part of the student council the last 5 years
6. Read the book “Being Mortal” by Atul Gawande
7. Won a super scholar award (awarded to those who’ve achieved straight As consistently in all subjects) for the past 11 years at my school.
8. Received scholarships the last 2 years for academic performance
9. LOVE debating and won a best delegate award at many MUNs

I’ve ended up doing a lot of stuff since lockdown. All of this is something I want to include but much of it makes me sound cocky! Obviously, space is limited so I don’t want to simply list things but rather reflect on them a little as well.

Which would you prioritise (given my choices of unis as well). Maybe points 7 and 8 could be mentioned in my reference rather than my PS?
Points 1 & 2 definitely,
Then 7 & 8
Where you have room 3,4,5,6,9.

(Don’t forget to write about your passion and interest for the subject, as well as just things you’ve done).
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should focus on the job for medicine, rather than the academic stuff - so things like work experience and volunteering, talking about skills and qualities needed to be a doctor (shadowing etc.) and that you have developed
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads