The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Elles
well, the difference in both fees, ethos & family backgrounds between typical independent schools & public schools in my experience, makes me think the motives do differ somewhat.

maybe education is still a primary concern.. but with regard to the public schools i think it's more a status/networking/'old boys' type thing as well..

I don't really agree with that. I'm sure parents' motives are identical, but perhaps their intentions have a greater chance of being realised by sending their children to a public school. And I don't think there is really a difference in the typical pupils either, to be honest.
Natalie Lane
Even if that's true though I don't understand why people resent those who want something better and can actually afford it, I mean isn't everybody's goal in life to strive for better things? then why be mad at people who have worked for ways of achieveing them...

Sorry to sound snobby but if anything parents who pay for private education should be the ones with the right to complin at having to pay for an institution they do not use... (not saying they should complain as I personally don't disagree with this system but I can see why others could...)

I think it is very easy to understand the resentment on the part of the student. I was once accused of being jealous by a classmate who had gone to prep school. His arguement was that his parents had worked hard, so why shouldn't they get to spend the money how they wanted. Which is fair enough. However the point insinuated that my parents, because they are in lower paid jobs which canot afford private education do not work hard- which they damn well do. They work very hard in not so great jobs, which is a product of the fact they attended not so great secondary schools in the 60s and 70s. They are both intelligent so it is not the case that they shouldn't have aimed higher but the school and area did not encourage them. This cycle is now being repeated- children of the adults who were privately educated then are now being privately educated themselves, forcing others to be pushed down.

However, my point was 'what has my parents education and career got to do with my own abilities'? Why should those who are not fuly deserving be given a higher level of education, attention and opportunity, beacuse of their parents qualities? That goes for those people who have worked up the ranks so to speak from being working class to multi-millionaires.

So I said to the classmates' point that of course I am jealous of the beginning in life he was given because I don't think he deserved it anymore than myself. But this isn't always the case as many people have said that private schools do not necessarliy mean better education although I would suggest that most do and by some considerable way.
no and i'm bloody glad i wasn't.
Reply 383
gt@vetschool
no and i'm bloody glad i wasn't.

lucky you...

perhaps you just werent up to the task :p:
Reply 384
d750
And I don't think there is really a difference in the typical pupils either, to be honest.

typical pupils in a small day independent school maybe £4,000 per year, versus single sex public boarding school at over £15,000 per year? i think there may be a slight difference in background & associated attitudes..! :p:

in my experiences, there almost certainly are some general 'public school' attributes that just aren't seen in independent school pupils. i'm not saying this like it's a bad thing or anything - i have a boyfriend & many friends who came from public schools, but still..

anyway, agree to disagree then? :shakehand
Reply 385
Elles
typical pupils in a small day independent school maybe £4,000 per year, versus single sex public boarding school at over £15,000 per year? i think there may be a slight difference in background & associated attitudes..! :p:

in my experiences, there almost certainly are some general 'public school' attributes that just aren't seen in independent school pupils. i'm not saying this like it's a bad thing or anything - i have a boyfriend & many friends who came from public schools, but still..

i think my parents paid £2k for me and my brother at our private school
Reply 386
Also coming from a university packed full of public school kids :wink: , I think there is a difference between public school and independent school attitudes. Independent school pupils are on the whole more similar to state school compared to the large public schools.
technik
lucky you...

perhaps you just werent up to the task :p:

No way. 10 GCSE A grades, 3 As at A level and a place on a vet course speak for themselves.

I think that in private schools everyone does well because they are forced to. in state education it is very much up to the student. you can do as well or as badly as you like.
Reply 388
gt@vetschool
No way. 10 GCSE A grades, 3 As at A level and a place on a vet course speak for themselves.

I think that in private schools everyone does well because they are forced to. in state education it is very much up to the student. you can do as well or as badly as you like.

you think wrong :smile:
Reply 389
gt@vetschool

and what do you base that gem of information on..?
Reply 390
timeofyourlife
and what do you base that gem of information on..?

hes probably never set foot inside anything other than a state school, so he's the expert... :rolleyes:
Reply 391
technik
hes probably never set foot inside anything other than a state school, so he's the expert... :rolleyes:

vets are too cocky. not sticking their hands up cows' backsides often enough, IMO..
Elles

Yes - though not all boarding schools are single sex and not all independants are mixed.
Lots of public schools cost more than £15,000/year:
Charterhouse: £6,910/term = £20,730/year
Eton: £7,460/term = £22,380/year
Wellington: £7,300/term = £21,900

Independant schools:

St Swithuns: (Day girl) £3760/term = £11,280/year
The Abbey: £2370/term = £7110/year

So there's a lot of variation..
Reply 393
No Future
Yes - though not all boarding schools are single sex and not all independants are mixed.

i'm dealing in generalisations with regards to typical pupils..a break down of every fee-paying school in the country with statistics would have been slightly excessive for my purposes of illustrating how generally there may be inherent differences in public/independent school products due to both the family background economically & the social environment the school is more likely to have with regards to co-ed/boarding...

but if you want to name drop the various good schools you know of & their precise prospectus published fees (notice i said 'over £15K' - it would be slightly crass of me to ask friends exactly how much their school fees were & i don't especially care enough to google them), feel free.. :rolleyes: :p:

TOYL
Also coming from a university packed full of public school kids..

hmm, so you're not one of them? this makes you statistically safer from "seduction" attempts from moi.. :vroam: :wink:
Elles
i'm dealing in generalisations with regards to typical pupils..a break down of every fee-paying school in the country with statistics would have been slightly excessive for my purposes of illustrating how generally there may be inherent differences in public/independent school products due to both the family background economically & the social environment the school is more likely to have with regards to co-ed/boarding...

but if you want to name drop the various good schools you know of & their precise prospectus published fees (notice i said 'over £15K' - it would be slightly crass of me to ask friends exactly how much their school fees were & i don't especially care enough to google them), feel free.. :rolleyes: :p:

hmm, so you're not one of them? this makes you statistically safer from "seduction" attempts from moi.. :vroam: :wink:

Sorry I didn't know about other schools. I was using some schools I knew as examples that didn't fit the trend you mentioned. I don't know many schools that did, that is why I mentioned them..I was actually trying to agree with you on the point that fees vary a lot.
Reply 395
fair enough.. but i think the % of public schools that are boarding will be higher than independent schools, likewise % of single sex public schools. although the actual numbers of public schools are obviously smaller.

where did you decide to go to 6th form in the end..? :smile:
Elles
fair enough.. but i think the % of public schools that are boarding will be higher than independent schools, likewise % of single sex public schools. although the actual numbers of public schools are obviously smaller.

where did you decide to go to 6th form in the end..? :smile:

Yeah, probably, I don't really know.
I still haven't decided :P ! :eek: - Not Wellington, that's for sure - didn't realise the fees were that high. I might go to a college or grammar (state) school.
Reply 397
Elles

Never reveal too much.. And don't you mean statistically safer from further seduction techniques? *points to sig*
Reply 398
No Future

I still haven't decided :P ! :eek: - Not Wellington, that's for sure - didn't realise the fees were that high. I might go to a college or grammar (state) school.

for what it's worth.. I'd recommend PSC! & spend that extra money you save on extra-curricular enriching/funding uni! :p:

timeofyourlife
Never reveal too much..

oh, so you are..? you must stop toying with my emotions like this.. :adore: :wink:
Elles
for what it's worth.. I'd recommend PSC! & spend that extra money you save on extra0curricular enriching/funding uni! :p:

What's PSC?

Latest

Trending

Trending