What jobs do you think someone studying computing can get?

Watch
ChrisRock
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm about to go uni on the 24th in NTU to study computing, but I like my hardware a lot and I was told that Computer Systems Engineering that they do offers a good balance between hardware or software. My first thought was an IT technician but who are those guys? are they like for example people from sky who they send over to your house if your router is having problems or do they work for companies to set up systems? I never really understood main roles of an IT technician. Is there anything I should specifically research regarding them? secondly any other jobs you guys would recommend to look into regarding those courses? Ans thirdly do unis have like careers advisers you can help us go on the right direction to find a job that matches what we study?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
IT technician, cyber security (like ethical hacking) software developer or consultant, website designer / builder, or another role where you’d use the skills you learn maybe something mathsy?
ChrisRock
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
IT technician, cyber security (like ethical hacking) software developer or consultant, website designer / builder, or another role where you’d use the skills you learn maybe something mathsy?
man I despise maths
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChrisRock)
man I despise maths
Okay then I suppose something more logic or problem solving based
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's probably not a smart move to be aiming for an IT Technician job following graduating, you could do this without going to university and typically an apprenticeship without any post-GCSE qualifications would be more appropriate.

Example jobs following a Computing related degree could include: Software Engineer/Developer, IT Consultant, Cyber Security Engineer/Analyst, Infrastructure/Network Engineer (might be better for what you want than an IT Technician), Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, UX Designer/Developer etc.

But doing Computer Systems Engineering, you might find yourself more equipped to be a Software Engineer working on Embedded systems or maybe a Hardware or Electronics Engineer or Designer.

Hope this helps
ChrisRock
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
It's probably not a smart move to be aiming for an IT Technician job following graduating, you could do this without going to university and typically an apprenticeship without any post-GCSE qualifications would be more appropriate.

Example jobs following a Computing related degree could include: Software Engineer/Developer, IT Consultant, Cyber Security Engineer/Analyst, Infrastructure/Network Engineer (might be better for what you want than an IT Technician), Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, UX Designer/Developer etc.

But doing Computer Systems Engineering, you might find yourself more equipped to be a Software Engineer working on Embedded systems or maybe a Hardware or Electronics Engineer or Designer.

Hope this helps
hardwares or electronics engineer sounds interesting. any more info on that?
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you shouldn't worry too much at this moment as you are only just entering uni. But, having those questions in your mind is good as it means you are going to be on the lookout for what is available and what makes you tick. Usually, 1st year allows many to get a better hang of things. Keep an open mind. Don't limit yourself based on what you have experienced up till now. You may be pleasantly surprised at what may prick your interest. That's what university is about. There's lots much more out there in computers and computing. Enjoy.
ChrisRock
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NowAndThen)
I think you shouldn't worry too much at this moment as you are only just entering uni. But, having those questions in your mind is good as it means you are going to be on the lookout for what is available and what makes you tick. Usually, 1st year allows many to get a better hang of things. Keep an open mind. Don't limit yourself based on what you have experienced up till now. You may be pleasantly surprised at what may prick your interest. That's what university is about. There's lots much more out there in computers and computing. Enjoy.
thank you sorry for the late reply
ChrisRock
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yt7777)

Hope this helps
any info on hardware and electronics?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed