should i be allowing this??

Watch this thread
fake_abs
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
mandem can be lowkey problematic. where is the line of edgy humor and **** that's just bad??
examples:
- "I'd rape her" "watch her get assaulted" **** like that
- "chinks" (in reference to chinese and other east asian people)
- "imagine dating a darkskin girl ew"
- "about to pull an R.Kelly (or insert any other famous sex offenders name)"

I've told them all off and they are like "you're a lesbo you should understand its a joke lol lads innit"
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
this is edgy humour, yes. its meant to shock and offend sensitive people. does this answer your question?
Synergy~
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fake_abs)
mandem can be lowkey problematic. where is the line of edgy humor and **** that's just bad??
examples:

I've told them all off and they are like "you're a lesbo you should understand its a joke lol lads innit"
WTAF?
fake_abs
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
this is edgy humour, yes. its meant to shock and offend sensitive people. does this answer your question?
my cousins told me guys don't joke around and when they say stuff like that they probably mean it to an extent. idk idk. I cut them off ages ago but one of my friends is dating one of these ***** so idk
fake_abs
Rep:
(Original post by Synergy.x)
WTAF?
yh ik, one of my friends is dating a guy like this and I just am a little worried. Especially about the assault jokes, he also makes jokes about being a "wifebeater" so like BIG RED FLAG™
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
my cousins told me guys don't joke around and when they say stuff like that they probably mean it to an extent. idk idk. I cut them off ages ago but one of my friends is dating one of these ***** so idk
Thats not quite true (except for perhaps the racist jokes!) Although humour is subjective and some people make these jokes for fun. If this form of humour is something that you are morally against - that is fine.
Synergy~
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have friends with "edgy humour" but I haven't heard them take things this far wtf. Yeah it's good you cut them off, idk i really can't stand people like that, especially for the first and third one, and like you said what they are saying is probably predicated on a bit of truth on how they feel.
Edit: nvm, not necessarily for that last bit. Just remembered someone i spoke to who said things like this, but genuinely did not mean it and said it only to shock.

but I do not think telling them off will change things, so it depends on whether you want to keep on hearing things like that.
Last edited by Synergy~; 1 year ago
Synergy~
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yh ik, one of my friends is dating a guy like this and I just am a little worried. Especially about the assault jokes, he also makes jokes about being a "wifebeater" so like BIG RED FLAG™
hmm, how long have you known them?
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have what some would consider edgy humor. This is not it.
These people sound like insensitive pricks.
username5335518
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
examples:

Honestly, IMO? This isn’t edgy. This is just offensive. Two are just racist and the other two make fun of sexual harassment and rape. The line is things that are considered dark I guess, but these have deep roots in the faults of society that have harmed so many people. Glad you cut them off.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
I have what some would consider edgy humor. This is not it.
These people sound like insensitive pricks.
You are not the humour police. Comedy is subjective!
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
examples:

I can't remember ever saying any of these things myself but some guys actually talk like that.

It's your friends choice to stay around them.

the R Kelly jokes doesn't sound so bad to me. I've seen a few on youtube and they always crack me up..

The rest are a bit too tasteless for my liking.
fake_abs
Rep:
(Original post by sakura_23)
Honestly, IMO? This isn’t edgy. This is just offensive. Two are just racist and the other two make fun of sexual harassment and rape. The line is things that are considered dark I guess, but these have deep roots in the faults of society that have harmed so many people. Glad you cut them off.
I'm concerned for my friend though
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You are not the humour police. Comedy is subjective!
Did I ever say I was?
Anyone who finds 'jokes' about rape or sexual assault is just gross. There are so many better things to make fun of, things that have not ruined people's lives.
fake_abs
Rep:
hmm, how long have you known them?
since like year 9 so more than 2 years, more like acquaintances more than friends
Synergy~
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
since like year 9 so more than 2 years, more like acquaintances more than friends
And have any of them dated during that period of time?

Yes what they say and joke about could be seen as red flags, but some people just say things to fit in with their friends or as I said to shock. So I think things like previous relationships are a helpful gauge to figure out if you should interfere
username5335518
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm concerned for my friend though
Well, if he’s shown anything that is even slightly concerning in actual physicality I’d be concerned, but as she’s not making the jokes, you don’t really have the grounds to tell her or her bf about your opinion (as sad as that is). Just make sure she knows you’re there for her, and that’s as much as you can do, in case it does escalate. I’m glad you care though!
fake_abs
Rep:
And have any of them dated during that period of time?

Yes what they say and joke about could be seen as red flags, but some people just say things to fit in with their friends or as I said to shock. So I think things like previous relationships are a helpful gauge to figure out if you should interfere
they haven't really dated people we've known. one ex was seen as problematic by them but that's part of the reason I cut those friends off. The ex claimed that the guy was really possessive and threatened to hurt himself when they'd argue.
fake_abs
Rep:
(Original post by sakura_23)
Well, if he’s shown anything that is even slightly concerning in actual physicality I’d be concerned, but as she’s not making the jokes, you don’t really have the grounds to tell her or her bf about your opinion (as sad as that is). Just make sure she knows you’re there for her, and that’s as much as you can do, in case it does escalate. I’m glad you care though!
yeah, and knowing her, she gets really attached to the guys she dates. like defends them, and does a lot for them. it would be impossible for me to actually say anything
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
yeah thats right
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads