The Student Room Group

Physician Associates in the next 3 years

I am wondering about physician associates degrees in the next 3 years. Will it be more competitive in the selection process? I am an international student, will it be harder to get in? Also, will there be extra process needed, eg UCAT/BMAT?
I want to know if graduating and working as a physician assistant in the nhs has high job security like doctors or not. Also, will there be progression in this job?

I am still unsure on what is the differences between doctors and physician assistant as in the limit of the job. Or even the differences between physician assistant and nurses as there seems to be a lot of overlapping.
thank you so much. I shall keep an eye on the application requirements and ask the unis more details on the how many internationals they will accept
I know that PA are supposed to reduce the workload of gp so I believe they do the tasks such as history taking, diagnosis but they cannot prescribe or do X-ray. I believe that they also follow up with patients conditions which I think pg do not normally do as they have lots of patients to take care of and so the process might not be continuous, the PA might come in and help with that. But other than that, I am not sure what are the tasks that are specifically for PA. I saw on some site as well that they do go in to surgery operations with doctors too but I am not quite sure about that. Also, I saw that PA mostly work in general practice rather that special care? Will that change in the future that PA will be working more in secondary care there is now? I will be collecting as much info as I can but the time I will be applying for 2 yr PA degree will be 3-4 years in the future so I will have to keep updated. I believe there might be some changes around the career as it is a relatively new job.

I saw on some website saying that do not confuse Physician associate and physician assistant. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that they are the same job and that Physician associate used to be called as physician assistant before.
Thank you for the info. I know that PAs are generalist. Can they move around in terms of specialty (peadiatric etc)? If a PA do an extra pg degree will that help with the work of secondary care?

What are the pros and cons of being a PA?

Quick Reply

Latest