Snap64
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I am currently in y13 doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge for engineering, my predictions being A* maths and physics A further maths and chemistry. I got 98888887A*B and an A in fmsq add maths at gcse, what do you think my chances of getting in are?
liv_barnett
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Snap64)
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge for engineering, my predictions being A* maths and physics A further maths and chemistry. I got 98888887A*B and an A in fmsq add maths at gcse, what do you think my chances of getting in are?
I think you’ve got amazing chances of getting in and you should definitely apply if that’s where you want to go!
I once heard a Cambridge student on the radio, he wasn’t predicted as good grades as you, but he applied anyway and he got in. Most people who miss out on going to a prestigious university are the ones who think they can’t get in so they don’t bother applying.
I also think that your extracurricular activities are important to them as what uni doesn’t like an all-rounder? I’d work hard on your personal statement too, make it really original. I always think that admissions officer probably get bored with the same old ‘I am passionate about my subject because...’
Maybe use a quote or tell a story related to why you think you are right for their course.

Good luck!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Snap64)
if you meet the entrance requirements, you have a chance. Oxbridge performs in-depth assessments of its applicants, so it will come down to how you do there. Grades are merely a filter - it is very competitive. Roll the dice, and see what happens. Good luck.
killak434
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s not all about grades...everyone applying will have your grades...it will be most likely based on your performance in the interview and your pre admission test. Personal statement will get you the interview.
Akhil Maram
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I am doing the same subjects as you but doing an AS in chemistry. I am considering applying to Cambridge for computer science which requires A*A*A but I only have A*AA (with A* in maths). Will I still have a relatively good chance of getting an interview?

I also need to do the CTMUA as an admissions test. Does anyone have advice on how to do well?
Last edited by Akhil Maram; 2 months ago
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Akhil Maram)
Hi, I am doing the same subjects as you but doing an AS in chemistry. I am considering applying to Cambridge for computer science which requires A*A*A but I only have A*AA (with A* in maths). Will I still have a relatively good chance of getting an interview?
Are those predicted or achieved grades?

If your achieved grades are below the tyical offer it's much less likely you will be called for an interview.
Akhil Maram
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Doones)
Are those predicted or achieved grades?

If your achieved grades are below the tyical offer it's much less likely you will be called for an interview.
Those are predicted grades. We would generally have mocks to improve them but they got cancelled.

And for general university applications, if you are just one grade below requirements, do you get immediately rejected or do you just have lower chances for an interview?
killak434
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You have half the chance compared to someone with the required predicted or achieve grades looking at the at the stats online.
killak434
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Maybe speak to your teacher and see if you can get one of your grades boosted up...tell them about your plans for Cambridge and the grades u need. Predicted grades should be achievable. Hope this helps
Akhil Maram
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by killak434)
Maybe speak to your teacher and see if you can get one of your grades boosted up...tell them about your plans for Cambridge and the grades u need. Predicted grades should be achievable. Hope this helps
Yeah. I have tried that already but I can ask again even though it may not be possible. Actually, I was researching and found an electronics engineering course at imperial for A*AA which meets my predicted grades. Are electronics engineering and computer science roughly the same? If so, is it worth applying there just so I get a higher chance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads