Looking for advice: Should I switch to MSc?

Watch
AliceSwann
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, I'm a physics undergrad at UCL, will be 3rd year soon. My first year average was 58 and second year 77. I was wondering if I should switch to master's because I haven't had an internship and have nothing to write in my personal statement. Ideally I would like to apply for a phd after my master's. Any advice? Thanks!
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AliceSwann)
Hello, I'm a physics undergrad at UCL, will be 3rd year soon. My first year average was 58 and second year 77. I was wondering if I should switch to master's because I haven't had an internship and have nothing to write in my personal statement. Ideally I would like to apply for a phd after my master's. Any advice? Thanks!
When applying for a Physics PhD the most important aspects will be (1) overall degree award and the trajectory of the marks in your transcript [58->77 improvement is fine in this context] and (2) a reference from someone who knows what you are like in a research environment, that’s most often a 3rd/4th year project supervisor. Summer placements etc are nice to have (and might add another pertinent referee to the pile) but in no way essential.

Top STEM universities WILL want a masters level qualification before a PhD, if you are on a 4 year MSci then that’s a perfectly good route and there is no compelling reason to switch to a standalone MSc unless it ticks a very specific skill set your current course does not cover.
AliceSwann
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
When applying for a Physics PhD the most important aspects will be (1) overall degree award and the trajectory of the marks in your transcript [58->77 improvement is fine in this context] and (2) a reference from someone who knows what you are like in a research environment, that’s most often a 3rd/4th year project supervisor. Summer placements etc are nice to have (and might add another pertinent referee to the pile) but in no way essential.

Top STEM universities WILL want a masters level qualification before a PhD, if you are on a 4 year MSci then that’s a perfectly good route and there is no compelling reason to switch to a standalone MSc unless it ticks a very specific skill set your current course does not cover.
Thank you very much for the answer! I'm currently on a BSc degree and thinking about switching to a four year MSc degree, so I can stay for 4 years straight which could be more convenient. I heard that applying to a master's makes you more competitive than doing a 4-year MSc so I wasn't sure about it🤷
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (88)
21.62%
No (319)
78.38%

Watched Threads