The Student Room Group

Can I get into a london hospital with 39 from EPM?

I messed up badly :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't want to pay for rent as my family home is in London.
Reply 2
How hard is it to get atleast 40/50 in the SJT
Reply 3
I've lived 5 years away from them haha.

I would be open-minded about going somewhere else but I don't know, I have heard some horror stories about certain hospitals - i.e lack of support etc
Reply 4
What have you heard about Birmingham/manchester?
Reply 5
Northern Ireland?
To answer your original question: meh, who knows? Might be harder than had you gotten top decile with a PhD and 2 pubs under your belt, but conversely, the SJT is such a toss-up that you don't know really.

Instead of moping about whether you'll be able to work in your desired location, be practical: can you do anything about your EPM? No. Move on.

Perhaps work hard and go on the wards, prepare for the SJT (I am a big proponent of the idea that being exposed to the wards helps with SJT) to help with the SJT? Sounds more practical.

Worst comes to worst, you end up in a place you really didn't want to be in. Are you going to quit Foundation in that case? If not, don't waste your time and mental reserves on something so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
I ain't too bothered about it tbh

How are wards good opportunities for SJT revision lol...
Yes depending on SJT/publications.
Reply 9
Original post by wildstar9
I've lived 5 years away from them haha.

I would be open-minded about going somewhere else but I don't know, I have heard some horror stories about certain hospitals - i.e lack of support etc

You could always go for a hospital out of London and either commute from home or just live somewhere where you can regularly get trains back to see family?

I work in EBH, but commute from north London. Quite a lot of junior docs (& consultants!) in my hospital live in London and commute, train is only like 20 mins from Finsbury Park (which v much gives away what hospital it is for anyone who knows EBH lol). I’ve found the commute pretty easy, actually quite enjoy it tbh as going against the grain in commuting out of London rather than in means you basically always get a seat, esp. with the current WFH culture for most office folk. My BIL used to commute from romsford to Southend, and Watford Hospital is famously popular amongst the EBH lot for being a top choice for ppl wanting to commute from London.
Is 39 even a low ish score. I would have thought it's actually a good score
Its not impossible but will be tough to get into Norwest and north central london, those regions normally require a total score of 85. South thames deanery may easier to get into but chances are, you will spend one year working in london and the other year working in Kent/Surrey/Sussex. ST deanery was around 79/80 points when i applied. Basically in summary, you'll need to get 40/50 in your SJT to get into london which isn't impossible and is actually just slightly over the average score.

I got into ST deanery with a EPM of 41 when I did foundation.
Original post by FlyingOrthopod
Its not impossible but will be tough to get into Norwest and north central london, those regions normally require a total score of 85. South thames deanery may easier to get into but chances are, you will spend one year working in london and the other year working in Kent/Surrey/Sussex. ST deanery was around 79/80 points when i applied. Basically in summary, you'll need to get 40/50 in your SJT to get into london which isn't impossible and is actually just slightly over the average score.

I got into ST deanery with a EPM of 41 when I did foundation.

How difficult is it to get 40 in the SJT? I got 38 in the EPM and wanted Wessex, ST or EBH? Very worried about this tbh but nothing j can do about my EPM now
I was in a similar situation to you, flopped the SJT, and now I'm 4 hours away from London. Try your best but gotta learn to live with things, it's 2 extra years, use it to motivate yourself to be in better stead for the next set of applications.
Original post by Anonymous
I was in a similar situation to you, flopped the SJT, and now I'm 4 hours away from London. Try your best but gotta learn to live with things, it's 2 extra years, use it to motivate yourself to be in better stead for the next set of applications.

What was your epm? I am confused because I didn't think 38 or 39 was too bad but now this thread is making me worried that I won't get into Wessex/EBH
Original post by hslakaal
To answer your original question: meh, who knows? Might be harder than had you gotten top decile with a PhD and 2 pubs under your belt, but conversely, the SJT is such a toss-up that you don't know really.

Instead of moping about whether you'll be able to work in your desired location, be practical: can you do anything about your EPM? No. Move on.

Perhaps work hard and go on the wards, prepare for the SJT (I am a big proponent of the idea that being exposed to the wards helps with SJT) to help with the SJT? Sounds more practical.

Worst comes to worst, you end up in a place you really didn't want to be in. Are you going to quit Foundation in that case? If not, don't waste your time and mental reserves on something so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Good advice! TBH, all regions have a mix of hospitals that are great and hospitals that arent. But when you go to them, often the reputation is either old history, or you are within that right or wrong team that makes our experience buck the trend.
London is massive. Apply anyway, you never know. But see where you might also be interested in applying. It looks like you did med school out of london, so apply for that region. Or depending where you live in london you might commute to the south trusts in EBH.
But TBH, you have left home really, and time perhaps to settle for a bit independently?
What have you heard about Birmingham/manchester?

Manchester is mega competitive. In regards to the SJT it’s quite easy to score highly out you do practice.
Original post by Hippokrates
Manchester is mega competitive. In regards to the SJT it’s quite easy to score highly out you do practice.

What do you suggest doing in terms of practice for sjt apart from the official mocks. People on here say not o use many r sources - do you still agree with that
I messed up badly :frown:

Op I am really confused by this thread. If you have 39 EPM then if you get 40 that would get you into south Thames and EBH??? I am confused because are you saying that this sort of SJT score is extremely difficult to get?

Is 37 considered a very bad SJT score?
Original post by Anonymous
Op I am really confused by this thread. If you have 39 EPM then if you get 40 that would get you into south Thames and EBH??? I am confused because are you saying that this sort of SJT score is extremely difficult to get?

Is 37 considered a very bad SJT score?

Last year EBH was something like 77 for cut off [the score on their website] so 39 is fine. I think it is really easy to worry. But just like ucat cut offs for medical school these things can change depending on where people want to go, SJT scores etc. So hard to ever say a yes. However, the oriel system doesnt game. So just put preferences in your order of preference. If you want london, put all the london ones first and then the others in your pref order.
Last year lots of priority programmes weren’t filled in the priority programme round and went through into the general. So why not look at those and apply for them too.
Most people get their top choices [looking at UKFPO stats and facts]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending