Boris Johnston opts-out of EU human rights laws

Watch
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ghts-laws.html

We have always freely been to deport migrants, not sue soldiers etc. It's all gaslighting. That means our human rights are gone.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Tories are becoming more dystopian as time passes.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Finally some good news.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Finally some good news.
How is less human rights a good thing?
Kitten in boots
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Finally some good news.
Weakening laws designed to protect the individual from an overreaching government is never good news for those of us who believe in individual liberty.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ghts-laws.html

We have always freely been to deport migrants, not sue soldiers etc. It's all gaslighting. That means our human rights are gone.
Not really. The Britons had laws protecting life and basic freedoms of people when everyone else could legally slaughter their peasants or imprison their sons.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing more than a petty piece of politicking to appeal to some ignorant bigots. These laws, aside from being British in design, are by definition to the benefit of the populace.
There was a very good overview of this in 'The Secret Barristers' new book actually. One of the more interesting points he raised was why we feel that rights even the Russians and Chinese have signed up to are somehow 'bad' for us?

... then again given a wannabe dictator like Patel gets wet over these it shouldnt come as a surprise they're awful.

I really do weep for my country these days and the body blow after body blow its undergone from this disgusting excuse for a government.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Nothing more than a petty piece of politicking to appeal to some ignorant bigots. These laws, aside from being British in design, are by definition to the benefit of the populace.
There was a very good overview of this in 'The Secret Barristers' new book actually. One of the more interesting points he raised was why we feel that rights even the Russians and Chinese have signed up to are somehow 'bad' for us?

... then again given a wannabe dictator like Patel gets wet over these it shouldnt come as a surprise they're awful.

I really do weep for my country these days and the body blow after body blow its undergone from this disgusting excuse for a government.
"Patel gets wet"

Bit early in the morning for stuff like that surely....
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
"Patel gets wet"

I didn't want to be sexist and since youd usually say gets a hard on, well... :P
Plus its 21:41 here so i'm allowed
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
"Patel gets wet"

Would you have preferred "frothing at the gash"?
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Would you have preferred "frothing at the gash"?
That’s such a horrible expression! 😂
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Government elected by largely socially conservative people opts out of the types of laws (i presume these are legal opt-outs) that social conservatives probably don't support.

Shock and horror.

"An opt-out could prevent a significant number of migrants and asylum seekers from using the legislation to avoid deportation from the UK.

The move could also protect British soldiers from claims against their overseas activities, it was reported."

Personally i am supportive of these two opt-outs (the only ones mentioned).
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 minutes ago
I don't see how this is a bad thing when the human rights we recognise will still be considered rights in British law - this just means that we have control over our own laws.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads