I feel ugly in glasses

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I cannot get laser done on my eyes because of a medical condition.

I know I look good without glasses. Wearing glasses pulls my confidence down.

Ok, I will be blunt about it (cringing while typing this up) - I am a "good-looking" girl and I am certain about it. When I am not wearing glasses, guys show interest in me. When I am wearing glasses, I am a nobody. It's not that I just feel this way. Guys do come up to me/ask if they could hang out with me sometime etc specifically when I am not wearing glasses.

I am finding it hard to explain my thought process. I am not looking to be in a relationship. Nor do I even wear makeup or try to look presentable etc. I am just trying to come to terms with the fact that I will wear glasses forever and be a less attractive version of myself for the rest of my life.

I also have to limit the use of contact lenses because it may make my eye condition worse.

It sounds ridiculous because there are so many other things going on in my life (my studies, career etc) and I am not just a pretty face.
However at the end of the day, I do think about my physical appearance at times and imagine not having to wear glasses (especially at parties and events).

Also, I am 20 - Just to put it out there.

I do acknowledge the fact that this post sounds utterly stupid but this is an insecurity that I have.
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
use contacts
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe when you really don’t need your glasses, prop them on your head like some people do with sunglasses?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Ok, I will be blunt about it (cringing while typing this up) - I am a "good-looking" girl and I am certain about it. When I am not wearing glasses, guys show interest in me. When I am wearing glasses, I am a nobody. It's not that I just feel this way. Guys do come up to me/ask if they could hang out with me sometime etc specifically when I am not wearing glasses.

I am finding it hard to explain my thought process. I am not looking to be in a relationship. Nor do I even wear makeup or try to look presentable etc. I am just trying to come to terms with the fact that I will wear glasses forever and be a less attractive version of myself for the rest of my life.

I also have to limit the use of contact lenses because it may make my eye condition worse.

It sounds ridiculous because there are so many other things going on in my life (my studies, career etc) and I am not just a pretty face.
However at the end of the day, I do think about my physical appearance at times and imagine not having to wear glasses (especially at parties and events).

I do acknowledge the fact that this post sounds utterly stupid but this is an insecurity that I have.
Glasses are so cool, girls with glasses? :heart:

Laser isn't ideal either - you could get complications and the acuity may not be as good as your natural eyesight (which could be better than 6/6 or 20/20 as a young person).
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think you should look for a pair of glasses that suit you more firstly, but you also don’t have to wear them at all times.
EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you tried changing the style of your glasses, your glasses may not be suitable for your face shape etc...

Also, go back to you optometrist and tell them your contacts make your eyes dry. There are different materials and different lubricants you can use to prolong the wear duration.

Maybe you should address the dry eye situation too. What's causing your dry eyes? are your meibomian glands blocked? there are treatments for it. maybe you have blepharitis ('drandruff' in your lashes?). Try to use warm compresses.

I guess you can still wear contacts when you go to parties, because it's not very long.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As above - contacts?
Cpt Avocado
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just try to find some glasses you like. Glasses do not make someone look objectively less attractive. The right glasses could even do the opposite.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What glasses are you wearing? Generally they are a negative but nobody goes from good-looking to ugly by putting on glasses. You'd look slightly worse at most.
EyestriX
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What's your prescription like?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Maybe try to find glasses that suit your face more/make your favourite features stand out? I'm sure there's a lot of videos out there explaining the best glasses for certain faces x
EyestriX
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you tried ortho-k lenses? You wear them all night long whilst you're sleeping, take them off in the morning. t
They re-shape the front of your eyes so you can see througout the day (they slowly go back to their normal shape during the day)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much guys xxx
The Real Me
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What about contacts
Alesha1991
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I think you should definitely try to find a style of glasses which suits you better. I used to be self conscious about wearing glasses but now I see them as part of my style & I've got a couple of different pairs so I can change my look as I want. I think the right glasses can enhance someone's appearance so no it doesn't mean being less attractive. If it bothers you that much, maybe it would be a good idea to go for some which look less obvious against your face- I'm thinking the very thin round metal frames which are fashionable at the moment- I sometimes wear a pair like this. My younger sister wears this style as well- she went for them when she started wearing glasses all the time, basically because she doesn't like wearing glasses & wanted some that looked less noticeable on her face. From a distance you can hardly tell she's wearing them- she's mentioned it's made her feel more confident in glasses even though she really doesn't like having to wear them.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Find a frame which suits your face. I haven't met a girl who I thought was ugly 'cos of her glasses - the opposite happens most of the time.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Just try to find a frame that almost isnt noticeable (rimless maybe) or something thats a statement. the style of a pair of glasses can really change how you look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (67)
21.97%
No (238)
78.03%

Watched Threads