asianism
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
trinity Vs st Johns Vs Clare Vs caius + Gonville Vs Emmanuel.

For maths
Plz help
Advertisement
philogrobized
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asianism)

For maths
Plz help
trinity will be hard for maths from what I've heard. if you're confident and you love the college then apply. if not then just apply to the college you think you will most fit into. perhaps look at what is close to the maths department etc.
asianism
Rep:
?
(Original post by philogrobized)
trinity will be hard for maths from what I've heard. if you're confident and you love the college then apply. if not then just apply to the college you think you will most fit into. perhaps look at what is close to the maths department etc.
I see trinity has 40 places? I don't know which one I will most fit into. Ive been to trinity when I was very little and the campus is pretty. But I don't know what characteristics of each college
Advertisement
keytree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

For maths
Plz help
TRINITY
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see trinity has 40 places? I don't know which one I will most fit into. Ive been to trinity when I was very little and the campus is pretty. But I don't know what characteristics of each college
No-one knows which one you will 'most fit into', those 40 people and the maths cohort at every College will, just like you, be brand new at the start of the academic year. Cohorts and Colleges don't have a personality that exists without students, unless applicants try to 'self-select' for things. If any College student body has a personality, it is because the students either self-select for it (ie by perpetuating ideas like Clare is musical, Caius is medical, Downing is for law etc), or they adopt some persona while there (Jesus is sporty, St Johns rows, Magdelene debates etc).
Advertisement
asianism
Rep:
?
Alright can I ask why trinity is hard? The specimen interview tests seem alright. Aren't the offer conditions all roughly the same?
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you like Trinity, then don’t be afraid to apply there. A lot of people actually get scared off because Trinity has a reputation for being a very maths oriented college and a lot of Olympiad people apply there, but you absolutely do not have to have done olympiads to get in - the main deciding factor is your test and interview.

Your college choice doesn’t affect your chances of getting into Cambridge as a whole so just apply to the college you like the most unless you’re extremely worried about being pooled and not having any control over where you end up (though you can’t entirely avoid this so called risk). Even if you do get pooled to a college you think you won’t like, it turns out that nearly everyone ends up loving their college whether or not they were pooled there.
Advertisement
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alright can I ask why trinity is hard? The specimen interview tests seem alright. Aren't the offer conditions all roughly the same?
It’s seen as “hard” because its reputation for maths (having a history of many famous mathematicians such as Newton and Ramanujan going there) means that it attracts a higher standard of applicants on average. Quite a lot of people who have done high level maths olympiads apply there (though many people do get in without having such experience) so it boils down to just having a higher standard of applicants in general. But if you like the college definitely go for it - it seems a good sign already that you think the specimen tests seem approachable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.24%
I'm not sure (59)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (373)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (621)
48.86%

Watched Threads