The Student Room Group

Studying Business A-levels

I am currently studying business, classical civilisation and government and politics at A-level. Will business hinder my chances of getting into Oxford or top Russel groups? Thank you
Reply 1
just because you doing business doesn't mean that you will get accepted ? Grades count ( of course also depending on what you want to study at uni).
Plus what are your grades atm, with Oxbridge you should be having straight As if not even A* both at A level and GCSE. You need to show interest in chosen course through various activities and well distinguish yourself from others
Reply 2
Original post by vickkyyxx
just because you doing business doesn't mean that you will get accepted ? Grades count ( of course also depending on what you want to study at uni).
Plus what are your grades atm, with Oxbridge you should be having straight As if not even A* both at A level and GCSE. You need to show interest in chosen course through various activities and well distinguish yourself from others

Hi,
So I just got my GCSEs and I got straight 9s and I’m not quite sure what my A levels grades will be like yet. At the moment I’m working at the level of 2 A* and an A but obviously that isn’t accurate. I know that my subjects will not secure a place at oxford but wanted to know if some of my options will hinder my chances.
Reply 3
Original post by Jessiesw22
Hi,
So I just got my GCSEs and I got straight 9s and I’m not quite sure what my A levels grades will be like yet. At the moment I’m working at the level of 2 A* and an A but obviously that isn’t accurate. I know that my subjects will not secure a place at oxford but wanted to know if some of my options will hinder my chances.

they don't actually care as much about your GCSEs as many people actually think, my friend got accepted into Cambridge for example even tho she didn't had any 9s in GCSEs but she got really impressive grades as well as shown pure interest in her chosen degree through personal statement. Of course this doesn't mean that they don't entirely look at GCSE grades but it's not as vital as many think. Oxbridge as well as other Russell group unis began to take on students who may not have achieved phenomenal grades (9s and A*s) but show real potential.
what are your current grades like, from your assessments/tests etc (a level) what I would recommend doing is visiting Oxford's website and see if they hold any virtual events in which you can ask questions or just see it for yourself what it's like to study there. I remember I did that for King's college (but not online, before covid happened..) ; I asked them if I have any chances on getting accepted to their uni for economics with the grades I acquired at GCSE (and trust me I got like 2 As and that it but this uni is quite good as well, prestigious too). And in return they gave me tips what can I do to stand out and make it happen so I got AAB + A in epq and I still made it even tho my offer was A*AA but they told me that they took me because I had good grade in EPQ as well as apparently I showed interest in economics in my personal statement so they believed that I would be a good candidate
*Strongly recommend to do EPQ!!!* you can not only learn more in depth about business but it also prepares you little bit of what uni will be like; independent research which is what you do at uni too
(Sorry I rambled quite a bit I just realised, sorry that you had to read this massive paragraph ahahahaha)
Reply 4
Original post by vizakl
they don't actually care as much about your GCSEs as many people actually think, my friend got accepted into Cambridge for example even tho she didn't had any 9s in GCSEs but she got really impressive grades as well as shown pure interest in her chosen degree through personal statement. Of course this doesn't mean that they don't entirely look at GCSE grades but it's not as vital as many think. Oxbridge as well as other Russell group unis began to take on students who may not have achieved phenomenal grades (9s and A*s) but show real potential.
what are your current grades like, from your assessments/tests etc (a level) what I would recommend doing is visiting Oxford's website and see if they hold any virtual events in which you can ask questions or just see it for yourself what it's like to study there. I remember I did that for King's college (but not online, before covid happened..) ; I asked them if I have any chances on getting accepted to their uni for economics with the grades I acquired at GCSE (and trust me I got like 2 As and that it but this uni is quite good as well, prestigious too). And in return they gave me tips what can I do to stand out and make it happen so I got AAB + A in epq and I still made it even tho my offer was A*AA but they told me that they took me because I had good grade in EPQ as well as apparently I showed interest in economics in my personal statement so they believed that I would be a good candidate
*Strongly recommend to do EPQ!!!* you can not only learn more in depth about business but it also prepares you little bit of what uni will be like; independent research which is what you do at uni too
(Sorry I rambled quite a bit I just realised, sorry that you had to read this massive paragraph ahahahaha)

Thank you so much!
I have just finished my EPQ and I have decided to pick up another subject because I realised Business is black listed at some Russell groups. Currently working at A*A*A*A with my four subjects so hopefully that’s Oxford worthy 🤞🏾
(edited 3 years ago)
your answer to this question depends on what subject you wish to study at oxford.

your gcses are exceptional, and will stand you in extremely good stead in the shortlisting process in the majority of subjects.

business a-level or any a level isn’t blacklisted by russell group universities, or even oxford or cambridge. sometimes, for certain subjects, certain a-level subjects are desired more than others and due to the nature of the business a-level it is never desired as they do not offer a business related course - closest there is, is E&M but that is highly economics/maths focused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending