?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
^^ title
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well there is a law called the Good Samaritans Act which is available in other countries but in the uk there isn’t a legal duty for a citizen to help but they should because it’s ethical to do so but if a hospital didn’t etc then they can be done for medical negligence. A company could be liable for injuries as they are obliged to make sure they meet the safety requirements in the signed contract.
Last edited by Geraldthegoat; 5 days ago
hope1279
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Do you mean in a legal sense or an ethical sense?
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Legally, not in the UK. Ethically, it really depends on the circumstances. If you are at risk of death or harm than no as there are times we need to put ourselves first out of instinct. If you're in no harms way by saving said person though than yes, you let someone die without any sort of reason. Then again, we cannot always control our reactions to events, especially not life or death ones.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Legally or in terms of personal opinion? :confused:

Not legally.
Murder is committed when a person of sound mind unlawfully kills another person while having the intention to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm.
Murder requires a crime deliberately committed with intent to kill or cause serious harm.

An individual choosing not to save a person that is already dying or has sustained serious injury caused by prior unlawful events is not murder.
The individual who decided not to attempt to intervene did not set events in motion through criminal conduct accompanied by the intention of causing the person's death.
If death was caused by unlawful action that was dangerous or involved a duty of care breached and no attempt to rescue the victim by the culprit, there is a strong possibility that the culprit not saving the victim could be considered as manslaughter.
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
No, murder is the unlawful killing of someone.

Ethically, however, might raise some questions.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
No. Murder is an active event, it requires intent and actions to ensure that is the end result e.g. stabbing or shooting someone. Merely standing by and allowing someone to die, a specific lack of action, whilst morally dubious (depending on the circumstances) is not murder.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads