Not meeting Uni requirements with Maths GCSE watch

Watch this thread
Kehinde03
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've got all the other entry requirements for GCSE but for Maths I got a grade 5 and they require a grade 6. For my A Level I'm aiming to get 2 A* and one A. Would Unis like
UCL
Kings College
Durham
Still accept me?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Universities are generally stricter with GCSE requirements and there generally isn't the tolerance that you have with A-level results - they could ask you to resit or even not consider your application at all.

For the avoidance of doubt you could email ahead to see.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kehinde03)
I've got all the other entry requirements for GCSE but for Maths I got a grade 5 and they require a grade 6. For my A Level I'm aiming to get 2 A* and one A. Would Unis like
UCL
Kings College
Durham
Still accept me?
Where universities ask for a Maths GCSE requirement it is usually because the course has a Mathematical need. If you dont meet it then you are normally rejected. It might be worth re sitting it, change subject or look for a university that doesnt require it. What subject is it for.
Kehinde03
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Where universities ask for a Maths GCSE requirement it is usually because the course has a Mathematical need. If you dont meet it then you are normally rejected. It might be worth re sitting it, change subject or look for a university that doesnt require it. What subject is it for.
Law
Kv90
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I've got all the other entry requirements for GCSE but for Maths I got a grade 5 and they require a grade 6. For my A Level, I'm aiming to get 2 A* and one A. Would Unis like
UCL
Kings College
Durham
Still, accept me?
Hi there, I know that the above universities will not accept you as you will need to meet their requirements. However, don't let this put you off! Ask the above universities whether they have a university maths test which you could do. The other option is you could enrol on to a maths course in a college or join another university study one year there and then transfer for your second year.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Law
It is quite unusual for universities to insist on GCSE Maths grade 6 for Maths although I know UCL do. I had had a reply from UCL last year and they basically said they dont vary from it unless you are a mature student. Most other universities dont have this restriction.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
RETAKE the GCSE this summer - talk to your school about this,

You just enter all your existing GCSE grades on UCAS, then GCSE MAths alongside your A levels as 'pending'.
Any offer they make you will include the GCSE grade as an extra condition.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It is quite unusual for universities to insist on GCSE Maths grade 6 for Maths although I know UCL do. I had had a reply from UCL last year and they basically said they dont vary from it unless you are a mature student. Most other universities dont have this restriction.
I have seen numerous instances this year of Kings insisting on Band B which includes English and students didnt have the required GCSE English grade for subjects but havent come across the condition for Durham and cannot see anything in their entry requirements. We used to have an admissions tutor for Bristol on here and she stated there were no GCSE requirements there. Many other places like Exeter dont have this restriction also so do a bit more research on what universities have Maths requirement for Law
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Bristol .... requirement for Law
There are no specific subject GCSE requirements for Law at Bristol - but they do score your overall GCSE profile as part of the assessment process.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by McGinger)
There are no specific subject GCSE requirements for Law at Bristol - but they do score your overall GCSE profile as part of the assessment process.
Yes but it is a 20:40:40 split between GCSE, LNAT and A Levels but having a 5 in GCSE wouldnt be a drawback unlike UCL. Returnmigrant who was on here was extremely knowledgeable about Bristol. She was an admissions tutor there for years and knows far more than me and I suspect you. She pointed out you could be accepted without any GCSEs unlike most places.

As far as UCL is concerned the Maths requirement is a general university requirement for ALL their courses. There were students on here claiming admissions has told them to apply as they dont use it. I took up the matter with UCL and the pro vice chancellor confirmed it was a condition of entry there and that the head of Law couldnt understand where this information had come from and they were expecting students to have the Maths requirement. They had only let in a couple without it and they were mature students who had left years before.

Kings have this requirement for their courses. Band B needs English Language and Maths. Many have been applying there and ignoring this but the university dont. The particular problem this year has been English Language where students didnt have the required grades and intended using IELTS instead.

Most universities including the likes of Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham and Cardiff dont have this problem. OP can apply practically anywhere and the Maths grade wont be a problem but for UCL and Kings a resit is necessary.
tiktoksensation
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Probably not helpful but I know when I emailed Newcastle they said I could apply with a grade 5 in Maths when the course asked for a grade 6. If you email the university with a list of your qualifications they might give you some additional consideration. Durham, KCL and UCL are quite competitive universities though so I can't guarantee that they'd do the same as Newcastle.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tiktoksensation)
Probably not helpful but I know when I emailed Newcastle they said I could apply with a grade 5 in Maths when the course asked for a grade 6. If you email the university with a list of your qualifications they might give you some additional consideration. Durham, KCL and UCL are quite competitive universities though so I can't guarantee that they'd do the same as Newcastle.
I havent come across this with Durham and cannot see the Maths requirement but Kings and UCL tend to be very strict with this rule.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
UCL
Kings College
Durham
Still accept me?
Your best bet is to resit or find uni's that accept a 5. Law is competitive and GCSEs arent normally negotiable unless your a mature student (or similar)

You can always email admissions and ask tho.
baekie
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Kings doesn't actually have any GCSE requirements for Law but for subjects like Medicine a 6/B in English and Maths is required. (first pic is Law, second is Medicine) Name:  CF80B300-FAD3-4EB4-A592-858179B21ED4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  20.1 KBName:  4FE7A462-1BD2-4E38-8479-03C4E60023F4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  16.8 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (55)
34.59%
The paper was reasonable (62)
38.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
16.98%
It was TERRIBLE (15)
9.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise