The Student Room Group

Too Many Subjects

Before Lockdown I chose Advanced English, Advanced Modern Studies, Higher French, and Higher History for my subjects. Additionally, I had RMPS but dropped it in June because I thought it would be too much work. My year head agreed and let me drop it.

Upon returning to school, I learned that I was 2 months behind for Modern Studies because my school told me adv. highers wouldn't start until August yet the school I was supposed to be doing it at started in May. And I was also told I would have to pick up Higher politics which is a requirement for adv. modern studies at the school i'm doing it at.

I spoke to my year head about dropping history (I'd rather do two advanced highers because Glasgow is currently asking for 1 adv. higher at a B and I want to be safe) but she wasn't too keen on that. I still feel like it's too much work. I don't know anyone in my year doing 5 subjects, and I already have 5 As at higher.

Should I push to drop history or just keep the 5 subjects?
Reply 1
There's no one at my school doing 5 subjects that are a mixture of Highers and Advanced Highers this year. Is Glasgow's only additional requirement for you the B in an Advanced Higher? If so, I really don't see why you would want to have so much work put upon yourself, especially considering the fact that you already have 5 As at Higher (congratulations by the way :smile:). If I were you I would personally fight to drop history, however the decision is entirely your own to make of course.
Reply 2
Original post by IAmCookie16
There's no one at my school doing 5 subjects that are a mixture of Highers and Advanced Highers this year. Is Glasgow's only additional requirement for you the B in an Advanced Higher? If so, I really don't see why you would want to have so much work put upon yourself, especially considering the fact that you already have 5 As at Higher (congratulations by the way :smile:). If I were you I would personally fight to drop history, however the decision is entirely your own to make of course.

The requirement for my course is 5 As at higher and a B at advanced higher. Glasgow is my top choice and it’s the ‘hardest’ to get into in terms of grades. My school make such a fuss about things so I don’t know if it would be more effort than necessary to drop it.
Reply 3
Original post by cchloepx
The requirement for my course is 5 As at higher and a B at advanced higher. Glasgow is my top choice and it’s the ‘hardest’ to get into in terms of grades. My school make such a fuss about things so I don’t know if it would be more effort than necessary to drop it.

The school making a fuss is another thing to consider, as I know at my school they really don't like people dropping subjects. If you do want to drop history, then maybe you should ask again? Explain to them that you are already behind on an Advanced Higher and that you had to pick up another additional Higher, which in itself is a lot of work, and that you would rather have extra time to focus on your other subjects.

Do you currently have 5 A grades? If so, I'd talk to your parents and school to let you do 2 AH subjects and 1 Higher because there is absolutely no reason why you should be wasting your time on more Highers when all you need is an AH.

I'd drop Higher History because you're right it is a lot of work. Keep either French or RMPS. By the way, if you've done Higher Mods and/or English, then RMPS should be a complete breeze.
Before Lockdown I chose Advanced English, Advanced Modern Studies, Higher French, and Higher History for my subjects. Additionally, I had RMPS but dropped it in June because I thought it would be too much work. My year head agreed and let me drop it.

Upon returning to school, I learned that I was 2 months behind for Modern Studies because my school told me adv. highers wouldn't start until August yet the school I was supposed to be doing it at started in May. And I was also told I would have to pick up Higher politics which is a requirement for adv. modern studies at the school i'm doing it at.

I spoke to my year head about dropping history (I'd rather do two advanced highers because Glasgow is currently asking for 1 adv. higher at a B and I want to be safe) but she wasn't too keen on that. I still feel like it's too much work. I don't know anyone in my year doing 5 subjects, and I already have 5 As at higher.

Should I push to drop history or just keep the 5 subjects?

I'd speak to your main school about speaking to your AH mods school about relaxing the higher politics requirement. It's not a prerequisite required by SQA (or anybody else) and while I could understand if they wanted it to be a pathway into AH mods, doing them concurrently doesn't really seem to offer much benefit. Presumably you have higher mods already?
I would definitely recommend dropping something - it's quite a high workload with 5 subjects including 2 AHs and with all the uncertainty of this year (& that you need to play catch up on the subjects you're doing at the other school) class time isn't as guaranteed as it usually is. You've got a fantastic set of S5 results, so while there's nothing wrong with going above the 'bare minimum' for this year, you might also want time to do other things and take the pressure off a bit :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Labrador99
I'd speak to your main school about speaking to your AH mods school about relaxing the higher politics requirement. It's not a prerequisite required by SQA (or anybody else) and while I could understand if they wanted it to be a pathway into AH mods, doing them concurrently doesn't really seem to offer much benefit. Presumably you have higher mods already?
I would definitely recommend dropping something - it's quite a high workload with 5 subjects including 2 AHs and with all the uncertainty of this year (& that you need to play catch up on the subjects you're doing at the other school) class time isn't as guaranteed as it usually is. You've got a fantastic set of S5 results, so while there's nothing wrong with going above the 'bare minimum' for this year, you might also want time to do other things and take the pressure off a

higher politics is a requirement because the courses overlap which means you can use more time to cover other topics in advh Mods in more detail as it is a demanding course :smile: I've now dropped history though.
You seem to be doing a lot of subjects, as an S6 myself I would be so stressed, I would try and be firm with your school and drop some because keep in mind UCAS will take up time as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending