dhruvit_p
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As I approach year 11, I was looking for a college to apply to and was very keen on applying to a boarding/private school on a scholarship/bursary receiving basis. I was thinking of applying to Eton College, Harrow School, St. Paul's School and Westminster school. I was wondering if anyone has any tips and recommendations on which school I should apply to and how to have the highest chance at receiving a placement. My GCSE predicted grades are as follows:
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 8
English Language - 9
English Literature - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Computer Science - 9
Business Studies - 8
Psychology - 8
Geography - 8

At A-Levels, I was hoping to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics, and as my backup option, I have decided on Government & Politics.

Thank you in advance!
katnix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go for Eton college because they have a scholarship called the Orlem Award where they reward you a full scholarship to go there
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
(Original post by katnix)
Go for Eton college because they have a scholarship called the Orlem Award where they reward you a full scholarship to go there
It's called the Orwell award, I've done a decent amount of research, however, I wanted an actual opinion from a person who has been to any of these as so far, my choice is based solely off of what the schools show us and not a real life opinion. I was also looking for tips on how to increase my chances at receiving a place.

Thank you!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dhruvit_p)
As I approach year 11, I was looking for a college to apply to and was very keen on applying to a boarding/private school on a scholarship/bursary receiving basis. I was thinking of applying to Eton College, Harrow School, St. Paul's School and Westminster school. I was wondering if anyone has any tips and recommendations on which school I should apply to and how to have the highest chance at receiving a placement. My GCSE predicted grades are as follows:
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 8
English Language - 9
English Literature - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Computer Science - 9
Business Studies - 8
Psychology - 8
Geography - 8

At A-Levels, I was hoping to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics, and as my backup option, I have decided on Government & Politics.

Thank you in advance!
All will be difficult to get into, but that doesn't mean you can't try. Personally, I would try the lot. You have good grades. Also look at local private schools, which will be considerably easier to get into.

I am assuming you are a state school student, no?

I would work as hard as possible at those GCSEs to obtain as many 9s as you can.

Are you in a choir, for example? That can help.

I would do some extra reading round your A level subjects. Even maybe think about what you would like to do as a degree, and do some reading around that.

Your behaviour may also play a part, so make sure you join in school clubs and help other students where you can, and be no trouble in class. Be an asset to your present school. Do you write for the school magazine? Do you play for sports teams? Do you show leadership qualities?
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
All will be difficult to get into, but that doesn't mean you can't try. Personally, I would try the lot. You have good grades. Also look at local private schools, which will be considerably easier to get into.

I am assuming you are a state school student, no?

I would work as hard as possible at those GCSEs to obtain as many 9s as you can.

Are you in a choir, for example? That can help.

I would do some extra reading round your A level subjects. Even maybe think about what you would like to do as a degree, and do some reading around that.

Your behaviour may also play a part, so make sure you join in school clubs and help other students where you can, and be no trouble in class. Be an asset to your present school. Do you write for the school magazine? Do you play for sports teams? Do you show leadership qualities?
Hello, thank you for the reply means a lot. I have looked at local private schools but, unfortunately, I am not too keen on them as they are good academically, but have behavioural issues and don't prepare you as well for future life.

I do currently attend a state school, which was unfortunately rated as "needs improvement" during their OFSTED inspections.

I read that I should express my musical, theatrical and sporting abilities in my personal statement and have therefore wrote about the fact that, yes I am in a choir. I am also in a bagpipe band of over 30 members that have performed at several gigs, including for Boris Johnson when he was mayor, David Cameron when he was Prime Minister and the Queen at her Diamond Jubilee. I also play the tabla, harmonium, keyboard, recorder and dholak (traditional Indian drum) and used to play the steel pans, tenorhorn, the djembe drums and the guitar. I also play cricket for a club and have captained the team and also play five a side football with my friends every week. In terms of theatrical abilities, I participate in annual performances of productions we create and have also played a main role in my primary school production (not sure if they would care too much as it was primary school)

In terms of contribution to my current high school, I am currently deputy head boy, and form captain. I also help run the open evenings and the parents evenings. I am also leading the prefects and senior prefects along the deputy head girl. I have also taken part in performing a speech to new intakes and parents.

With this bit of information, if you were an admission officer for any of these colleges, would you personally consider me for a place or to the next stage for the interviews. It's fine if you would not accept me as therefore, it means I need to improve significantly and can work hard to do so.

Means a lot, thank you!
Kind regards, Dhruvit
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, thank you for the reply means a lot. I have looked at local private schools but, unfortunately, I am not too keen on them as they are good academically, but have behavioural issues and don't prepare you as well for future life.

I do currently attend a state school, which was unfortunately rated as "needs improvement" during their OFSTED inspections.

I read that I should express my musical, theatrical and sporting abilities in my personal statement and have therefore wrote about the fact that, yes I am in a choir. I am also in a bagpipe band of over 30 members that have performed at several gigs, including for Boris Johnson when he was mayor, David Cameron when he was Prime Minister and the Queen at her Diamond Jubilee. I also play the tabla, harmonium, keyboard, recorder and dholak (traditional Indian drum) and used to play the steel pans, tenorhorn, the djembe drums and the guitar. I also play cricket for a club and have captained the team and also play five a side football with my friends every week. In terms of theatrical abilities, I participate in annual performances of productions we create and have also played a main role in my primary school production (not sure if they would care too much as it was primary school)

In terms of contribution to my current high school, I am currently deputy head boy, and form captain. I also help run the open evenings and the parents evenings. I am also leading the prefects and senior prefects along the deputy head girl. I have also taken part in performing a speech to new intakes and parents.

With this bit of information, if you were an admission officer for any of these colleges, would you personally consider me for a place or to the next stage for the interviews. It's fine if you would not accept me as therefore, it means I need to improve significantly and can work hard to do so.

Means a lot, thank you!
Kind regards, Dhruvit
Would I consider you for a place? Well that depends on your competition, and I don't know how fierce this is. I would imagine that quite a few have the same idea as you, and possibly similar skills. I would assume the worst, and try for the very best grades you can. Also as I say, read around your future subjects.

I can remember watching a programme following some 13 or 14 year olds applying to a top public school. One young man was reading Shakespeare at this age and was very advanced for his age, with mature and insightful thoughts (of course, he got a place). Another was applying to grammar school. He was capable but was learning everything by rote and taught by his father (no independent study!) He ended up at the grammar school.

Another was also very bright (but not as impressive as the Shakespeare one). His singing was superb and was offered a scholarship to the school too. However he announced he also had a scholarship to Eton, so turned the school down. This is why I am saying, apply to as many as you can.

I would imagine even the very best schools have slight behavioural problems. And how do you know that the small private schools "do not prepare you for real life". That's a bit of a sweeping statement, if you have no evidence of this. All schools try and prepare you for your future life. Anyway, has not the state school already been helping you with real life? Do you think a top public school is real life?

Just look at your own statement about the private schools. They are "good academically" and that is, to be honest, all you need. You need to use your school as a means to get where you want in life. Even at Eton, the school curriculum alone will not take you into a top university. You will need to research in your own time. It's a case of academic give and take. How do I know? Because both my sons won scholarships to their local small private school. This took them both all the way to Oxford. Having said that, many of the other pupils at the same schoolo did not get in, as they did not work hard enough on extra research once they got home.

If you want to leave your state school behind, you need to leave all your options open and apply determindly to several private and independent schools.
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Would I consider you for a place? Well that depends on your competition, and I don't know how fierce this is. I would imagine that quite a few have the same idea as you, and possibly similar skills. I would assume the worst, and try for the very best grades you can. Also as I say, read around your future subjects.

I can remember watching a programme following some 13 or 14 year olds applying to a top public school. One young man was reading Shakespeare at this age and was very advanced for his age, with mature and insightful thoughts (of course, he got a place). Another was applying to grammar school. He was capable but was learning everything by rote and taught by his father (no independent study!) He ended up at the grammar school.

Another was also very bright (but not as impressive as the Shakespeare one). His singing was superb and was offered a scholarship to the school too. However he announced he also had a scholarship to Eton, so turned the school down. This is why I am saying, apply to as many as you can.

I would imagine even the very best schools have slight behavioural problems. And how do you know that the small private schools "do not prepare you for real life". That's a bit of a sweeping statement, if you have no evidence of this. All schools try and prepare you for your future life. Anyway, has not the state school already been helping you with real life? Do you think a top public school is real life?

Just look at your own statement about the private schools. They are "good academically" and that is, to be honest, all you need. You need to use your school as a means to get where you want in life. Even at Eton, the school curriculum alone will not take you into a top university. You will need to research in your own time. It's a case of academic give and take. How do I know? Because both my sons won scholarships to their local small private school. This took them both all the way to Oxford. Having said that, many of the other pupils at the same schoolo did not get in, as they did not work hard enough on extra research once they got home.

If you want to leave your state school behind, you need to leave all your options open and apply determindly to several private and independent schools.
Thank you for the help, means a lot!

I will continue looking and take your advice on board.

Kind regards
oppiwall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should certainly try for the Orwell,we even have a pipe band..Not sure when applications have to be in but I would get onto it at once.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's called the Orwell award, I've done a decent amount of research, however, I wanted an actual opinion from a person who has been to any of these as so far, my choice is based solely off of what the schools show us and not a real life opinion. I was also looking for tips on how to increase my chances at receiving a place.

Thank you!
I would stay in the state system - why go Private when top unis are cutting down their intake from such schools?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Means a lot, thank you!
Kind regards, Dhruvit
Sorry - do you mean 'requires improvement'? That's not an Ofsted category of concern - the school is satisfactory. This could benefit you actually - don't go Private - how are the A level results?
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I would stay in the state system - why go Private when top unis are cutting down their intake from such schools?
I think my main reason for going private is that the top Universities do still look at private schools above state, especially when you go to them after achieving a scholarship, which is what I am aiming for. I also was in a conversation prior to this, with my friend who attends a private school and told me the way they prepare them more for life, in terms of international baccalaureate, preparing and updating a CV every term etc., which in comparison to my school, we don't do anything as such and only do the bare minimum before the deadlines.
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
Sorry - do you mean 'requires improvement'? That's not an Ofsted category of concern - the school is satisfactory. This could benefit you actually - don't go Private - how are the A level results?
Apologies - I meant "requires improvement". I'm not sure what you mean by the rest, in terms of "not an Ofsted category of concern" or how it could benefit me. In terms of A-Levels, they haven't publicised the results but in comparison to other schools as a sixth form they performed quite well, however, as a high school the GCSE results as an overall are not the greatest.
username4567
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 8
English Language - 9
English Literature - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Computer Science - 9
Business Studies - 8
Psychology - 8
Geography - 8

Thank you in advance!
Lots of extra reading - Westminster interviews are to help them see if you love your subject. (Also some tricky questions in the econ entrance exams that require good political general knowledge eg who’s the chancellor etc) Read around the schools and know exactly why you want to go there, what clubs you would join, recent lectures that you would have liked to have attended, electives that interest you. Westminster has a 15 minute exam just to right down extracurriculars so make sure you have a balance of sports, academic, music etc (separate sections). Hope this helps and good luck!
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
(Original post by username4567)
Lots of extra reading - Westminster interviews are to help them see if you love your subject. (Also some tricky questions in the econ entrance exams that require good political general knowledge eg who’s the chancellor etc) Read around the schools and know exactly why you want to go there, what clubs you would join, recent lectures that you would have liked to have attended, electives that interest you. Westminster has a 15 minute exam just to right down extracurriculars so make sure you have a balance of sports, academic, music etc (separate sections). Hope this helps and good luck!
Hello, thank you for the advice, it means a lot. Do you know any more specific detail about the Eton interviews as it is my preferred option out of the many, however, I am still extremely happy if I do get a place in any of the other ones.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Apologies - I meant "requires improvement". I'm not sure what you mean by the rest, in terms of "not an Ofsted category of concern" or how it could benefit me. In terms of A-Levels, they haven't publicised the results but in comparison to other schools as a sixth form they performed quite well, however, as a high school the GCSE results as an overall are not the greatest.
An Ofsted category of concern is when a school has serious weaknesses or is in special measures - that is serious. Requires improvement is what used to be called satisfactory ... no where near a real problem.

Your results are viewed in the context of your school so doing well at a weaker school is to your benefit.
username4567
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No sorry only sat Westminster out of these Good luck with Eton though it’s a great school
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Great advice here.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, thank you for the advice, it means a lot. Do you know any more specific detail about the Eton interviews as it is my preferred option out of the many, however, I am still extremely happy if I do get a place in any of the other ones.
I would imagine it's broadly similar. And the kind of things you will need to read up on for that Westminster exam - it's a similar procedure when you are applying to top unis like Oxford. It's useful to get used to the process.
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
An Ofsted category of concern is when a school has serious weaknesses or is in special measures - that is serious. Requires improvement is what used to be called satisfactory ... no where near a real problem.

Your results are viewed in the context of your school so doing well at a weaker school is to your benefit.
Ohh, I understand, Thank you for the help, means a lot!
dhruvit_p
Rep:
?
No sorry only sat Westminster out of these Good luck with Eton though it’s a great school
Sorry it's a personal question and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but did you manage to get in, and if so, how was it and do you enjoy it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads