How to get over social anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
When I walk around in public (e.g. going up town, walking into the lecture theatre) my heart races, and I get a bad feeling like I think everyone is judging me on something. I get paranoid about the way I walk, where I look, what I'm wearing etc.
I feel the same way even if I'm walking somewhere that nobody else is present.

I'd love to fix this so I can actually feel normal just walking around in public. Maybe it could even be fixed enough for me to be able to flirt with women, or to be confident enough to go on a date (19M and never been on a date lol).
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
U just need to learn that people aren’t that interested or are judging u, it’s all in your head and if they are just try your best to ignore it, they’re just insecure trying to put their insecurities on to other people! Just be confident, learn to love yourself and try to be as positive as u can and surround yourself with positive people who support u.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Geraldthegoat)
U just need to learn that people aren’t that interested or are judging u, it’s all in your head and if they are just try your best to ignore it, they’re just insecure trying to put their insecurities on to other people! Just be confident, learn to love yourself and try to be as positive as u can and surround yourself with positive people who support u.
This. Very true.

As corny and un-mental health-y as it sounds, pretty much the only way to overcome social anxiety is to stop caring what others think about you. People only care about you in a negative way when you give off an un-confident and insecure presence. If you don't care what others think and are confident in yourself, others won't care either. It doesn't matter what you look like, what you wear, what your interests are. If you own it and are confident about it, people will respect you and won't care. I used to have social anxiety and was worried about being judged, but I just learned to stop caring, and lo and behold, nobody has ever judged me for my looks, what I wear or my interests since, and I don't even care if they do.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
do you know where your anxiety is coming from? i mean like for me,
i experience the same thing and i know it’s cuz i have a history of being assaulted. do you know where these thoughts are coming from?

i used to experience racing heart and
lightheadedness whenever i went anywhere which just made me self conscious and made my anxiety worse. what’s helped me tremendously is using beta blockers. it doesn’t cure your
anxiety but it controls your physical symptoms, so walking etc and going places feels physically easier. you can get different doses, just gotta speak to your GP.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Geraldthegoat)
Thankyou 🙌🏼
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
This. Very true.

As corny and un-mental health-y as it sounds, pretty much the only way to overcome social anxiety is to stop caring what others think about you. People only care about you in a negative way when you give off an un-confident and insecure presence. If you don't care what others think and are confident in yourself, others won't care either. It doesn't matter what you look like, what you wear, what your interests are. If you own it and are confident about it, people will respect you and won't care. I used to have social anxiety and was worried about being judged, but I just learned to stop caring, and lo and behold, nobody has ever judged me for my looks, what I wear or my interests since, and I don't even care if they do.
Thankyou. I've been trying to think like that for a while, but I'm not so good at it yet.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)
do you know where your anxiety is coming from? i mean like for me,
i experience the same thing and i know it’s cuz i have a history of being assaulted. do you know where these thoughts are coming from?

i used to experience racing heart and
lightheadedness whenever i went anywhere which just made me self conscious and made my anxiety worse. what’s helped me tremendously is using beta blockers. it doesn’t cure your
anxiety but it controls your physical symptoms, so walking etc and going places feels physically easier. you can get different doses, just gotta speak to your GP.
For me I think it's due to the fact that for a very long time (5 years at least) the negative part of my mind always used to tell me that I'm not good enough, that I'll never be good enough, and also that nobody will ever love me in a romantic way (although the last thing likely doesn't add to social anxiety).

Over the last few months I've been having these thoughts far less often, due to practicing mindfulness and telling myself that these thoughts are not true. But they still happen sometimes.
Jut22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Face that which you fear. Open up don't close down. Easy to say I know but it's true. Life is far too short.
RealLifeJoker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone’s who’s been battling what you’re battling all their life I could tell there’s no way you could get rid of it
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Report 2 weeks ago
Get therapy. I get the same thing which Is why I dread going out in public
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
Get therapy. I get the same thing which Is why I dread going out in public
I'm not keen on the idea of therapy. I'm gonna start keeping a journal of some sort for my mental health and self-esteem etc, then hopefully that'll help me figure out certain things that trigger issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (74)
21.51%
No (270)
78.49%

Watched Threads