Sticky situation with Law application and poor health

Watch this thread
flekken
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

I have had an 'interesting' education background to say the least. I had a severe undiagnosed medical condition throughout 2017 that made my GCSE grades suffer - I got the following grades:

English Lang - 9
English Lit - 9
Business Studies - A
BTEC IT Practitioner - D* (A weird kind of IT btec, fairly advanced, roughly equiv. to Comp Sci)
Religious Studies - B
ECDL - 100% (can't remember what the grade name was)
Maths Foundation - 4
Science - C
Comp Sci - C

So yeah, not quite Oxford's standard, but I had some quite bad health issues that I just figured were completely normal (spoiler: they certainly weren't). I then entered Sixth Form, dropped out because of said issues in March 2018, and re-entered in September 2018. To everyone's surprise I got AA in my AS Levels (I only did the two, but got nearly 100% in both). This was because I had some kind of basic support for my health. However, my health then went straight down the toilet again, and by the time the Coronavirus-influenced CAGs came about I was down to BBD. However, I'm resitting in July, and I have been predicted A* A A for that, so nice one. I have my LNAT in 2 days, which I'm getting consistently pretty good scores on.

However, is there any point in applying for Oxford? I would love to go, but I am aware that I only have 5 choices and the application process is pretty stressful. I'm thinking of applying to New College or Worcester College for Law.

Any help?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
First of all, have you got a treatment plan set up for your health issues? Because if not I'd focus on that for now. Going to university is a big deal for someone with chronic illness. As a side note, will you be applying for DSA?

re: Oxford, might be worth asking your teachers, can't really help out here. Sorry!
flekken
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Pathway)
First of all, have you got a treatment plan set up for your health issues? Because if not I'd focus on that for now. Going to university is a big deal for someone with chronic illness. As a side note, will you be applying for DSA?

re: Oxford, might be worth asking your teachers, can't really help out here. Sorry!
I do have a treatment plan, yes. Fortunately it's working, quite slowly, but it's working.
I will consider applying for DSA actually, it's worth a go.
Pathway
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by flekken)
I do have a treatment plan, yes. Fortunately it's working, quite slowly, but it's working.
I will consider applying for DSA actually, it's worth a go.
Good to hear! You're welcome to send me a message if you have questions about DSA, etc. I have chronic illness/disability as well, so have been through this sort of thing and have been to university and come out the other side with a First. Good luck! Hopefully someone will come along with answers to the other bit of your post.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think if you want to apply to Oxford, it'd be a lot less stress for you if you apply post-A2 with achieved grades. Especially for such a competitive course and competitive potential colleges you're eyeing up :eek:

Also, depending on what your health condition is, bear in mind Oxford may not be the most conducive of environments for you anyway :nah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads