Can men and women just be friends?

Watch
beneficialgirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Recently I had a discussion with an acquaintance about men and women being able to just be friends where he insisted they couldn’t because the guy is usually waiting for his chance to sleep with (or be with) the woman.

I actually disagree with this although I’m a girl I’ve had some close male friends who have referred to me as their sister and generally have never been in the slightest way suggestive or inappropriate to me and who I have a good friendship with, I even live with some of my male friends at uni. I also think it depends on the circumstances like maybe if you have a big friendship mixed group the friendship is more genuine whereas if you were just friends with one person of the opposite gender one on one with no mutual friends or friend group chances are one person in the friendship would actually be wanting to make advances with the other? I’ve found that in friendship groups chances are the guys generally just want to be your friend but when it comes to random friends of the opposite gender who you don’t have a group with theyre more likely to make a move and want more - has anyone else found this?

I’m pretty average looking so maybe it’s a different case for very attractive girls having male friends? What’s everyone’s thoughts on male and female friendship and the circumstances when it comes to mixed gender group friendships and one on one friendships with the opposite gender?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
fake_abs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beneficialgirl)
Recently I had a discussion with an acquaintance about men and women being able to just be friends where he insisted they couldn’t because the guy is usually waiting for his chance to sleep with (or be with) the woman.

I actually disagree with this although I’m a girl I’ve had some close male friends who have referred to me as their sister and generally have never been in the slightest way suggestive or inappropriate to me and who I have a good friendship with, I even live with some of my male friends at uni. I also think it depends on the circumstances like maybe if you have a big friendship mixed group the friendship is more genuine whereas if you were just friends with one person of the opposite gender one on one with no mutual friends or friend group chances are one person in the friendship would actually be wanting to make advances with the other? I’ve found that in friendship groups chances are the guys generally just want to be your friend but when it comes to random friends of the opposite gender who you don’t have a group with theyre more likely to make a move and want more - has anyone else found this?

I’m pretty average looking so maybe it’s a different case for very attractive girls having male friends? What’s everyone’s thoughts on male and female friendship and the circumstances when it comes to mixed gender group friendships and one on one friendships with the opposite gender?
honey immature guys can't have girls as friends, but grown men can. as long as the difference between friends and relationship is clear, it's possible to be friends with the gender you are attracted to
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
My best friend is female but most of my friends are male.
I don't do fwb, hookups or date friends.
PeachyMilk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my friendship of like 15-ish is mixed with girls and boys, there are more girls than boys

-two guys wanted to date one of my friends she turned down one and is dating the other
-another guy wanted to date my other friend but she declined him
-a guy said he had a crush on me but I said we were better off as friends, and we are!

I do think girls and boys can just be friends I have plenty of male friends which I get on just great with and couldn't imagine dating them as they are like brothers to me. I find that in bigger groups like mine boys feel encouraged by their male counterparts to pursue the girl they have a crush on, which is nice and stuff but some relationships are better off as friendships lol
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No you either mate them or hate them, there's no in between at all.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Yes to an extent, the friends I grew up with when I was younger one had a crush on me but then turned out to be gay but we still stayed friends. Then when I was in highschool, when I was 13 my boy best friend started to like me when I was 14/ 15 it ruined our friendship and now we don’t talk at all because it was basically we get together or not friends :/ . But I do have friends that are guys that don’t act flirty but it is true that some of your guy friends would sleep with u if they had the chance, I saw that on Tiktok and asked some of them, some of them said no and some said yeah.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes! Absolutely, my best friend is a boy (I have known him since I was 3 but that’s not the point) he’s literally just like my brother and there’s nothing romantic/sexual between us. I’m friends with quite a few boys because doing a level sciences it seems to be mostly boys in the class so that’s just who I have to work with.
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, I have many friends that are guys. I am a girl btw.

I just hope that they only see me as a friend and nothing more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads