The Student Room Group

A Levels Needed For Law At University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm taking English Lit/Lan (combined), French, Psychology and Music. Apparently that's suitable for Law as English Lit and French are highly respected.
Reply 21
Mr Nonsense
thanks for that; the teachers at my school said something quite similar and they even suggested that a science background provides you with an analytical way of thinking --> good lawyer? up for debate that one.....

Yeah I'd go for that theory! :p:

As long as your subjects are traditional and hard, ie. history, English lit., RS, languages, pure sciences (not sociology etc.), maths, economics, geography etc. they'll be acceptable.

Although I heard from an admissions tutor at Cambridge that for law, a mix is best which means at least 1 essay-based subject and 1 maths / science subject. But plenty of people earn admission with 3 arts or 3 sciences so it's definitely not a must.

All we can say for sure is that history as well as English lit. are not needed, and neither is any other subject for that matter.
DJkG.1
Yeah I'd go for that theory! :p:

As long as your subjects are traditional and hard, ie. history, English lit., RS, languages, pure sciences (not sociology etc.), maths, economics, geography etc. they'll be acceptable.

Although I heard from an admissions tutor at Cambridge that for law, a mix is best which means at least 1 essay-based subject and 1 maths / science subject. But plenty of people earn admission with 3 arts or 3 sciences so it's definitely not a must.

All we can say for sure is that history as well as English lit. are not needed, and neither is any other subject for that matter.

that is reassuring thanks..... still don't have an essay subject at all though...

btw what would economics count as?
Reply 23
I wonder if I could restart this thread?
I'm finishing my GCSEs this year and am picking A-levels.
I'm currently thinking - English Lit & Lang combined, History, Economics, French.
I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if these are suitable/good choices as I would like to study law at oxford later.
Reply 24
Just wondering if someone could help me out, am just going in to year 11 at high school but I know I want to do law in uni to become a solicitor.. what subjects would be best to do as alevels? (would I have to take law)
Original post by LMartin.
Just wondering if someone could help me out, am just going in to year 11 at high school but I know I want to do law in uni to become a solicitor.. what subjects would be best to do as alevels? (would I have to take law)

You definitely don't have to take law - there's no advantage in it admissions-wise. Some people choose to take it because they like it, or to try the subject out first; it's completely up to you. You would have to relearn the material on a law degree so don't do it if you don't want to.

The best subjects are traditional respected "academic" subjects - I'd suggest choosing these for at least three of your A-levels - which you enjoy and will get good grades in. Within that you can choose a range of subjects - lots of people get into law with all science subjects, for example - though I think it is a good idea to choose at least one essay subject such as Eng Lit, History or Philosophy. This is just because I think it's a good idea to get practice in reading and writing essays before you start a law degree. (People will tell you that you must take Eng Lit and History. This is not the case!)

But I'd avoid narrowing down your decisions too much at this stage in your education - see how you feel nearer the time.

Quick Reply

Latest