The Student Room Group

Hiii. Can I get a guide on how I could pass my third year?

Hiaaa

So I’m starting my third year and I’d loveee some tips from you guys. What do I do before and after a lecture? How many hours should I study? Do I study everyday? What do I do before starting my disso? I just need a guide😭I’m sorry for all those questions. I got a 2.2 last year which I’m not happy about so I need to try and renew my knowledge. Thank you so much in advance.
I might not be the most qualified (going into second year) but can definitely give some tips that have helped me so far.
Obviously advice will change depending on the degree etc. so I will try and keep it as general as possible :yes:
- Make sure you do the reading before the lecture! You need to make sure that you have a grasp of the basic content before you build on it in the lecture.
-Try and go back over the lecture content thoroughly once before the seminar and again before the exam. This will really consolidate your knowledge.
-If you are doing an essay subject, see what resources your university offers that could help. These could be writing centres, literary fund fellows, or even your lecturer. There is a ton of support available to you, make sure that you take it!
Reply 2
Original post by barror1
I might not be the most qualified (going into second year) but can definitely give some tips that have helped me so far.
Obviously advice will change depending on the degree etc. so I will try and keep it as general as possible :yes:
- Make sure you do the reading before the lecture! You need to make sure that you have a grasp of the basic content before you build on it in the lecture.
-Try and go back over the lecture content thoroughly once before the seminar and again before the exam. This will really consolidate your knowledge.
-If you are doing an essay subject, see what resources your university offers that could help. These could be writing centres, literary fund fellows, or even your lecturer. There is a ton of support available to you, make sure that you take it!

Hi thank you so much for your reply. What exactly do you do before and after a lecture? Usually during the lecture I try and pay attention to the lecturers words rather than the PowerPoint because I know I can find the PowerPoint later on x
Original post by Yazziii
Hi thank you so much for your reply. What exactly do you do before and after a lecture? Usually during the lecture I try and pay attention to the lecturers words rather than the PowerPoint because I know I can find the PowerPoint later on x

I mean honestly it depends on the content, just be sure to supplement the lecturer's words with the slides for a fuller understanding!
After lectures I will usually have a short break to clear my head and then will try and go back through content/ apply my learning through the seminar work. I can't give too much advice besides trying to actually engage with the content and to review it multiple times.
If you are consistently getting 2:2 marks and doing everything you can after the lecture, I recommend checking if your weaknesses lie elsewhere such as in your essay skills :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by barror1
I mean honestly it depends on the content, just be sure to supplement the lecturer's words with the slides for a fuller understanding!
After lectures I will usually have a short break to clear my head and then will try and go back through content/ apply my learning through the seminar work. I can't give too much advice besides trying to actually engage with the content and to review it multiple times.
If you are consistently getting 2:2 marks and doing everything you can after the lecture, I recommend checking if your weaknesses lie elsewhere such as in your essay skills :yes:

Thank you so much. You were really helpful xx
Original post by Yazziii
Thank you so much. You were really helpful xx

Best of luck! :hugs:
Reply 6
Original post by Yazziii
Hiaaa

So I’m starting my third year and I’d loveee some tips from you guys. What do I do before and after a lecture? How many hours should I study? Do I study everyday? What do I do before starting my disso? I just need a guide😭I’m sorry for all those questions. I got a 2.2 last year which I’m not happy about so I need to try and renew my knowledge. Thank you so much in advance.

You study 120 credits a year on an undergraduate degree. Each unit of credit represents 10 hours of study including lectures and seminars, so 1,200 in all. You might also need to make up some shortfall from last year so let's say 1,400 hours.

For 30 weeks in total that's 46 and a half hours of study a week, give or take. I would try and drop it to 40 hours to avoid burnout and only take 1 week off at Christmas and Easter. Do the forty hours in five eight hour days with plenty of breaks and ensure you take the weekends off to refresh yourself (not by boozing!)
Reply 7
Original post by AW_1983
You study 120 credits a year on an undergraduate degree. Each unit of credit represents 10 hours of study including lectures and seminars, so 1,200 in all. You might also need to make up some shortfall from last year so let's say 1,400 hours.

For 30 weeks in total that's 46 and a half hours of study a week, give or take. I would try and drop it to 40 hours to avoid burnout and only take 1 week off at Christmas and Easter. Do the forty hours in five eight hour days with plenty of breaks and ensure you take the weekends off to refresh yourself (not by boozing!)

Wow why didn’t I not know that lmaoo. That was so helpful thank youu!!

Quick Reply

Latest